Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Physical Standby in two machines(!?) (Both of them are Oracle 10.2.0, Solaris 10)
Physical Standby in two machines(!?) [message #308056] Thu, 20 March 2008 22:13 Go to next message
trantuananh24hg
Hi all!

I've not ever configured physical standby DB in two different machines, but only in the same machine for testing purpose. For the business, I have to do it. And so that, would you like to answer my questions?

Primary DB: VNP on 190.10.10.66
Standby DB: VNPSTB on 190.10.10.67 (assume)
Both of them are DB 10gR2, Solaris 10

1/ Can I place the VNPSTB in the 190.10.10.67?
2/ If yes, how do them transfer the Redo_Log_File and Archive_Log_file? Is it automatical operation or manual by DBA?
3/ If the Primary DB - VNP down, can I open read/wirte mode for the Standby DB - VNPSTB?

Thank you!
Re: Physical Standby in two machines(!?) [message #308057 is a reply to message #308056] Thu, 20 March 2008 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>1/ Can I place the VNPSTB in the 190.10.10.67?
Yes, but I think the more typical configuration is to have VNP on 190.10.10.67
>2/ If yes, how do them transfer the Redo_Log_File and Archive_Log_file? Is it automatical operation or manual by DBA?
Automatic if/when properly configured.

>3/ If the Primary DB - VNP down, can I open read/wirte mode for the Standby DB - VNPSTB?
Yes; that is why it exists

Re: Physical Standby in two machines(!?) [message #308088 is a reply to message #308057] Fri, 21 March 2008 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
Thanks, anna!
1/ More typical configuration, would you give me to the document related (link), in Oracle documents, it is not in Data Guard.
2/ How and what I do it? Is it same to configuration in one machine? Pls do not teach me anything, take me to the documents (link).

Thank you very much
Re: Physical Standby in two machines(!?) [message #315791 is a reply to message #308088] Tue, 22 April 2008 15:38 Go to previous message
mlgoins

Actually, the Data Guard Administration document actually does have a lot of information useful to you. First, you cannot access a Physical Standby database for reporting if it is in Managed Recovery Mode (Logical Standby databases are used for that, OR (my preference), take the Physical Standby Database out of managed recovery and make it READ ONLY for specified periods of time. Instructions for that are in the Data Guard Administration document. Second, I have a configuration just like yours, on Linux: a primary database and 2 physical standby databases (one on a nearby machine, and one on a very remote machine). The configurations are the same, and you can create the Standby Databases using RMAN (probably in the RMAN Users Guid), or via Oracle Grid (Data Guard page(s)). If you don't have Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid, I recommend it (despite the fact that there is a learning curve).

Everything you need to know is in the Oracle Documentation, you just might have to pull the pieces you need out, and put it in a process you can understand.

Mike
Previous Topic: Data Guard and TAF
Next Topic: Configure Data Guard for testing purpose
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:37:31 CDT 2024