Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Applying SSHA algorithm within Oracle (Oracle 10G)
Applying SSHA algorithm within Oracle [message #298236] Tue, 05 February 2008 07:34 Go to next message
AudiLover
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to authenticate users against Oracle for passwords that are brought into the database from an outside source and are already encrypted using SSHA.

The scenario is that the passwords are pulled into Oracle (from an external LDAP directory) and then when the user tries to authenticate, the authenticating application is able to pass the unencrypted value entered by the user into a stored procedure in Oracle. From there I need to apply the same salted hash used to generate the value already in the database to do a match.

So, from within this stored procedure I either need to call an external process to hash the text entered by the user or have Oracle do this (if it's supported). We already do this with a different encryption algorithm for other users but now need to add in support for SSHA (coming from this secondary source) and I haven't had much luck finding info on how to do this.

Any suggestions?
Re: Applying SSHA algorithm within Oracle [message #298238 is a reply to message #298236] Tue, 05 February 2008 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I don't understand what you are saying but have a look at DBMS_CRYPTO package. It can encrypt with SHA-1 algorithm.

Regards
Michel
Re: Applying SSHA algorithm within Oracle [message #298264 is a reply to message #298238] Tue, 05 February 2008 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudiLover
Thanks Michel, but I don't see any info in here about support for a salted hash (SSHA). If anyone knows if this is supported in the package, please let me know. Otherwise I would need to make a call to an external package that can handle this (and I'm trying to avoid this).

-Chris
Re: Applying SSHA algorithm within Oracle [message #298272 is a reply to message #298264] Tue, 05 February 2008 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I don't know abuot SSHA but if it is not supported, you can add a Java function/class inside Oracle JVM and use it.

Regards
Michel
Re: Applying SSHA algorithm within Oracle [message #298281 is a reply to message #298272] Tue, 05 February 2008 09:53 Go to previous message
AudiLover
Thanks, it looks like I may need to go that route.

-Chris
Previous Topic: how am I to know that I have logged in not as SYSDBA???
Next Topic: Encrypt Data in a column in a table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:54:52 CDT 2024