Home » RDBMS Server » Security » orapwd file deleted (oracle 8i)
orapwd file deleted [message #291295] Thu, 03 January 2008 13:22 Go to next message
LaFilipina
Hi All,

I've tried to search my problem here in this forum but I didn't find one that is similar.

I have deleted orapwd file for one of our databases thinking that it's ok (I wanted to change the sys password) - I know this could be the dumbest thing ever.

The database is running fine but I am scared that when the database needs to be bounced, a problem may arise due to this.

I have created a new orapwd file but everytime I log in to the database using sys as sysdba, I am getting this error:

ERROR:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

If I try to alter user sys to the new password, I am getting this error:

Warning: Entry/Exit code is optimized. Cannot restore context (UNWIND 22)
alter user sys
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

I don't know what else to do. I also tried to issue this command:

grant sysdba to sys; but I got this message:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01999: password file mode has changed from 'exclusive' to 'shared'

The init.ora file indicates that the paremeter remote_login_passwordfile is in exclusive mode... so I don't understand the error.

I am hoping for your expert help once again.

Thanks and best regards,
LaFilipina
Re: orapwd file deleted [message #291301 is a reply to message #291295] Thu, 03 January 2008 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
After creating new password file you still not able to connect as user sys??

Do you give password ?? like
sqlplus sys/password as sysdba??

Post the entries of your sqlnet.ora.
Re: orapwd file deleted [message #291392 is a reply to message #291301] Fri, 04 January 2008 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LaFilipina
Hi DreamsZ,

The first thing I actually did is to remove the file and create a new password file. Then I logged in to sqlplus and tried to change the password for sys. I tried several times and I keep getting the same error:

Warning: Entry/Exit code is optimized. Cannot restore context (UNWIND 22)
alter user sys
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
Re: orapwd file deleted [message #291396 is a reply to message #291392] Fri, 04 January 2008 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Shutdown the database
Remove the password file
Change your remote_login_passwordfile to none
Restart the database
Change SYS password
Shutdown the database
Recreate password file with the same passord
Change remote_login_passwordfile to exclusive
Restart the database

What happens?
Be sure you are using the init.ora file you're thinking you use. For instance, give it explicitly in your startup statement.

Regards
Michel
Re: orapwd file deleted [message #291401 is a reply to message #291396] Fri, 04 January 2008 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LaFilipina
Hi Michael

I can't shutdown the database right now as I would need coordination with users before I do that. I would have to wait till then. I will post here once I am able to do the following steps to say how did it go.

I didn't shutdown the database before I removed the orapwd file... did the file get corrupted because of that?
Re: orapwd file deleted [message #291404 is a reply to message #291401] Fri, 04 January 2008 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Oracle instance opens the password file so if you drop/recreate it when instance is up it might happen strange and unexpected things.

Regards
Michel
Re: orapwd file deleted [message #291405 is a reply to message #291404] Fri, 04 January 2008 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LaFilipina
I guess I screwed up Sad

Though, I tried to remove the orapwd file of a test db (10g) and it allowed me to alter the user sys later on without any fuss. the database that i am having problem is 8i. Could this be particular to 8i? Or it can happen to any database version and it happens just in random?
Re: orapwd file deleted [message #291409 is a reply to message #291405] Fri, 04 January 2008 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:

Could this be particular to 8i?

Of course, ORA-3113 indicates (most often) a bug and Oracle seems to fix them from time to time. Razz

Regards
Michel
Re: orapwd file deleted [message #291413 is a reply to message #291409] Fri, 04 January 2008 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LaFilipina
makes a lot of sense!

I couldn't wait to know what will happen so I made an 8i database and did exactly what I did. I encountered the same error. Looks like this is indeed a no no for 8i databases. I performed the steps you enumerated, Michel and it seemed to have worked until the part of me issuing alter user sys identified by ***

BUT when I tried to login to sqlplus as sys I get this error:

connect sys@dbname.world / as sysdba
Enter password: ********
ERROR:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

I granted sys with sysdba privileges successfully but when I try to login again as sys, I get the same error... how could it be?
Re: orapwd file deleted [message #291415 is a reply to message #291413] Fri, 04 January 2008 02:33 Go to previous message
LaFilipina
ooops sorry... i was trying to connect as sys to the bad database.

bottom line, Michel's solution worked! It worked beautifully Smile

Thanks a lot Michel! Can't wait to do this on the actual database once I get the chance to restart the db. Very Happy
Previous Topic: revoke sysoper from userA when the parameter "remote_login_passwordfile" is set
Next Topic: Enterprise Single Sign-On (ESSO)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:06:27 CDT 2024