Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Copying Oracle cluster software from host os to guest os in a VMware environment.
Copying Oracle cluster software from host os to guest os in a VMware environment. [message #224073] Mon, 12 March 2007 20:38 Go to next message
sk003

I am using VMware to setup a RAC envinronment on CentOS 4.3.

I downloaded the Oracle files to the Host OS but I am having problems copying the files to the guest OS. The guest host location
is /u01/VM/RAC1 on the host machine. I powered down the the guest OS ( RAC1) and copied the downloaded files to /u01/VM/RAC1 but the files are not showing up on the guest OS. Any ideas ?

Thanks.
Re: Copying Oracle cluster software from host os to guest os in a VMware environment. [message #224254 is a reply to message #224073] Tue, 13 March 2007 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meggens
Hi,

I guess you are just copying the files to the host_machines filesystem...to the directorie where the vmware filesystems files are located.

Please note a vmware machine is in fact a 'normal' machine. You can access the machine for example by ftp/scp or any other network protocol but not simple by disk.

good luck

regards,
martin
Re: Copying Oracle cluster software from host os to guest os in a VMware environment. [message #224265 is a reply to message #224254] Tue, 13 March 2007 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sk003
I tried to ping the virtual machine from the host os but it did not work. Please I am new at using VMware. What is required to enable networking between the host and the guest OS virtual network in addition to entries in /etc/hosts on both machines?

Thanks.
Re: Copying Oracle cluster software from host os to guest os in a VMware environment. [message #224291 is a reply to message #224265] Tue, 13 March 2007 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meggens
When installing VMware it will ask you what networking to use.
Choose for bridged networking, you may also install the other network options but make sure when you configure the virtual machine to use bridged networking, a virtual network adapter will be created on the host operating system and the guest operation system will make use this adapter....like it is a real adapter...it can make use of DHCP etc etc.

If it doesn't work make sure no firewall rules are blocking the traffic.

regards,
Martin
Re: Copying Oracle cluster software from host os to guest os in a VMware environment. [message #224331 is a reply to message #224254] Tue, 13 March 2007 21:56 Go to previous message
sk003
Thanks meggens bridged networking/DHCP works.
Previous Topic: How to build Oracle RAC environment using 2 PC machines?
Next Topic: how to restore my raw disks that were mounted to oracle 10g rac
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:46:35 CDT 2024