Home » Other » Training & Certification » 10g Admin II: 1Z0-043 objectives
10g Admin II: 1Z0-043 objectives [message #219000] Mon, 12 February 2007 08:15 Go to next message
Seismo
Hey guys. A few months ago I had printed out the exam objectives for the 1Z0-043 exam.
I just double-checked the list on the website and it looks like two topics have now been removed.
Can anyone verify that the exam no longer tests for "Securing the Oracle Listener" nor "Diagnostics Sources"?
Those two appear on my 5-month-old printout but no longer appear here:
http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=41&p_org_id=1001&lang=US&p_exam_id=1Z0_043#3

I've sent this question to Oracle (ocpexam_ww@oracle.com) but it's been a week and they haven't responded.

Anyone know if this is the case or is the removal of these topics a mistake by Oracle?
There's so much to memorize for this exam, I don't want to waste brain cells memorizing info that's not on the test.
Re: 10g Admin II: 1Z0-043 objectives [message #219002 is a reply to message #219000] Mon, 12 February 2007 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Seismo wrote on Mon, 12 February 2007 15:15
I don't want to waste brain cells memorizing info that's not on the test.

This is exactly why I think certification sucks.
Re: 10g Admin II: 1Z0-043 objectives [message #219008 is a reply to message #219002] Mon, 12 February 2007 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seismo
Well, ordinarily I would think that the statement I just made is something of a cop-out.
But I've taken this exam before (back in September) and failed it.
I felt that 1Z0-042 was tough but fair. 1Z0-043 is by far the hardest and most unfair exam I've taken (I have a Novell CNA and MCSE). The exam relies on memorization of obscure facts rather than knowing what you're doing.
I don't believe in using TestKing type of exams so I'm just trying to do the best I can...

Re: 10g Admin II: 1Z0-043 objectives [message #219010 is a reply to message #219008] Mon, 12 February 2007 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I didn't (just Wink) mean your attitude, I meant that certification generates and rewards this kind of attitude.
What you say exactly makes my point. What is the use of memorizing instead of understanding. I think certification should be passed by anyone UNDERSTANDING the topic, without having a need for extra study.
Re: 10g Admin II: 1Z0-043 objectives [message #219173 is a reply to message #219010] Tue, 13 February 2007 08:45 Go to previous message
Seismo
The whole process of certification isn't perfect but unfortunately, there are no easy resolutions.
The 10g Admin II exam covers 14 topics; Globalization support, configuring RMAN, Using RMAN, Automatic Storage Management, DBMS_SCHEDULER, to name a few.
In an ideal world, certification helps me do my job. But what if we don't use DBMS_SCHEDULER where I work? What if we don't use or have any plans to migrate to ASM?
Then I'm being tested on something that has no relevance to me. So I just need to memorize enough to pass the exam because we all know that if I spend the time to know the topic inside and out and I don't use it, I'll forget everything I ever learned about it.

Ideally, a cert exam would give us a list of Core topics that Oracle requires and a few electives that we could select to be tested on at the beginning of the test.
This way, the exam tests for my specific job/career needs.

But here I am, reading and re-reading a monumental amount of information - much of which I may not need to know for weeks, months... perhaps never.

I mean, do I really need to know how to use a query to sort on the French language and make it accent-insensitive?
No, I do not. But I'm going to be tested on it, so I better learn it.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 February 2007 08:46]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Free Seminar on Oracle Technology@ Q-Soft Mumbai
Next Topic: oca
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:57:05 CDT 2024