Home » Other » Training & Certification » Oracle SQL Optimization & Implementation
Oracle SQL Optimization & Implementation [message #209539] Fri, 15 December 2006 07:32 Go to next message
annagel
Not exactly a SQL question, but seemed like the right place to ask still.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for book on advanced SQL, I am looking for something that can teach me stuff beyond how to write queries. Stuff like how the optimizer works, how to use the explain plans effectively, what the pieces of the explain plan mean, how Oracle actually goes about executing the query once the plan is made, how indexes actually work all kinds of fun stuff like that....so any recommendations?

Thanks, Andrew
Re: Oracle SQL Optimization & Implementation [message #209564 is a reply to message #209539] Fri, 15 December 2006 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
There are some well-known authors in this area, such as:
Jonathan Lewis writes a lot about the optimizer.
Cary Millsap and Jeff Holt: Optimizing Oracle Performance is about optimizing using info from the tracefiles.
Note that these books are quite tough!
Re: Oracle SQL Optimization & Implementation [message #209571 is a reply to message #209564] Fri, 15 December 2006 10:29 Go to previous message
annagel
Frank wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 10:06

Note that these books are quite tough!

Well I was not expecting rainbows and roses, so tough is what I expected, and what I was looking for. Thanks for the info, hope I find these helpful, the reviews of the O'Reilly are quite good so I am hopeful.

Andrew
Previous Topic: ocp training
Next Topic: oracle for linux system administrator
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 05:50:23 CDT 2024