Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Moving a database to clustered enviroment.
Moving a database to clustered enviroment. [message #180362] Mon, 03 July 2006 04:47 Go to next message
orausern
Hi,

I have one database that is in non clustered environment- a solaris server. From there, I need to move it to veritas clustered enviroment. there are 2 other solaris servers and there is VCS (veritas cluster software set up betn these 2 servers.)

How how has to go about doing this? is it simply creating the database and the VCS will take care of itself , and the new database created will be automatically clustered?

I am new to clustered set ups and shall be thankful for help.
Both these databases are 9.2.0.6 version.

Nirav

[Updated on: Mon, 03 July 2006 04:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Moving a database to clustered enviroment. [message #180394 is a reply to message #180362] Mon, 03 July 2006 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
How big is the database?
If it is not too big, you can export and import.
For starters, this is a much easier option.
In RAC, create a new database.
Use DBCA to create new database.
DBCA wil identifiy all the participating nodes and will create a clustered database.
Create the database with basic options ( of whatever you want).
After this, create the tablespace, users etc ( to hold the data from single instance database).
Export single instance DB.
Import into into RAC DB.
Re: Moving a database to clustered enviroment. [message #180404 is a reply to message #180394] Mon, 03 July 2006 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Hi Mahesh,

Thanks a lot! This is very useful. I can not use dbca , due to some problem of invoking xserver in a remote server..so what could be the steps to create the database manually?

Are they , those described in:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/rac.920/a96600/mancrea.htm#1053796

Thanks again!

Re: Moving a database to clustered enviroment. [message #180406 is a reply to message #180404] Mon, 03 July 2006 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Yes. The documentation leads to it.
>> due to some problem of invoking xserver in a remote server
I would investigate this and try to fix it and use DBCA. For starters, Oracle recomends DBCA for RAC.
I never use any GUI at all, except for database creation on RAC ( It saves a bunch of work).
Else, you have to manually create the database, add the other node/instance using srvctl and continue.
You need to understand srvctl options.

Re: Moving a database to clustered enviroment. [message #180407 is a reply to message #180406] Mon, 03 July 2006 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Thanks , I will change my plan of doing manual stuff, and use dbca.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. it is most helpful.

I have another question on this topic too,but that is slightly different..I will post it in a seperate thread.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 July 2006 07:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Moving a database to clustered enviroment. [message #180408 is a reply to message #180407] Mon, 03 July 2006 07:18 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
It ain't that hard or anything.
The same routine. You create a database in one node.
Add another instance using srvctl.
But to get a better look and feel,I suggest, use DBCA for the first time ( to get the job done).
Later you can always play around.
Previous Topic: TAF simulation
Next Topic: Moving a single instance 9.2.0.7 database to a clustered 9.2.0.6 database environment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:00:25 CDT 2024