Home » Other » Training & Certification » 9i vs 10g Certification?
9i vs 10g Certification? [message #179484] Tue, 27 June 2006 10:58 Go to next message
twostep94
I started my Oracle DBA work at version 8.0 and took the entire course track at the time. I have since worked with 8i extensively and have now worked with 9i for about 1-1.5 years. I just recently performed my first 10g installation. My boss mentioned that the company is finally becoming more education oriented and will even pay for the certification exams, so he asks if I would like to get certified. Personally, I can take or leave the actual certification, but I would like to catch up on the current administration courses because Oracle really has changed quite a bit since the 8.0 days.

After reviewing the requirements for 9i DBA OCP and 10g DBA OCP, it seems to me that it would be much easier to get the 10g certification (2 exams with associated courses), but that you will probably actually learn a lot more via the 9i path (4 exams with associated courses). Is this the way you see it? Not to mention the fact that I only have one 10g database to put the 10g education to work on.

Since my primary goal is education, with the certification just being a side-benefit, would you recommend that I go the 9i path and then upgrade to the 10g w/ the new features test or just go straight to the 10g path?

Thanks,
-Sheila
Re: 9i vs 10g Certification? [message #179563 is a reply to message #179484] Wed, 28 June 2006 00:36 Go to previous message
Frank
Why not leave the whole (imho unnecessary) path of certification and explain your boss what you'd really want. It would benefit his company more when you spend the money on good training courses instead of certification.
That way, you might be able to do either both, or a more in-depth course.
Previous Topic: Oracle India: Apps technical and functional training
Next Topic: Info about the cost involved in Oracle certification
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:42:14 CDT 2024