Home » Other » Training & Certification » what is daily duty of oracle DBA
what is daily duty of oracle DBA [message #148603] Fri, 25 November 2005 04:47 Go to next message
naveen19
Hai

This Naveen and i am Oracle DBA, working in chennai. and i have 3 months of oracle DBA experience on this field but my company is like AMC i will not going daily to my client office when i go for interview. they will asking the question.
1.what is the daily duty of oracle DBA?
2.how do solve the wait events?
3.what do see the in statspack report?

please u people can help me and i have interview on this Monday.

Thanks in Advance,

Navenn Kumar.K

Re: what is daily duty of oracle DBA [message #148605 is a reply to message #148603] Fri, 25 November 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Suppose we give you the answer to these questions, and you do get through the interview, do you think you can really _do_ the job?
It would take a nitwit-interviewer if he wouldn't realize you actually don't know what a DBA does.
I think you should only go to an interview when you know you are qualified for the job. If you are, then you know how to answer the questions you get. If you don't know all the answers, tell them and ask what they think should be the answer. This shows them that you are honest and eager to learn. They _should_ like that more than someone pretending to be/know something he is not/knows not.

Just my opinion.
Re: what is daily duty of oracle DBA [message #148609 is a reply to message #148605] Fri, 25 November 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naveen19
HI FRANK,

THANKS FOR REPLY,
BUT I HAD WOUND MY FINGERS MANY TIMES BY SAYING THAT DAILY DUTY IS
1. BEFORE STARTING THE DATABASE I WILL CHECK ALL THE BACKUP ARE SAFE.
2.I WILL CLEAR MY UDUMP AND BDUMP.
3.I WILL START MY DATABASE.
4.AND WILL TAKING STATSPACK DAILY AT PEAK HOURS.
5.I WILL GETTING BOTTELENECKS.

AND TELL ME FRANK THAT THERE IS ANY WRONG IN THE ANSWER.

REGARDS,
NAVEEN KUMAR.K
Re: what is daily duty of oracle DBA [message #148622 is a reply to message #148609] Fri, 25 November 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Your daily duty does not necessarily start with starting up your database. Just the fact you don't work at night does not mean your database can't Wink
Why clear your dump-directories?
Why only take snaps at peak hours? There could be some long-running transactions in low hours too. Take statspack snaps automatically every 10-15 minutes.
Save some snaps to be able to compare when things go wrong.

hth

Btw, I am not a dba, so I don't know what those people are upto everyday Wink
Re: what is daily duty of oracle DBA [message #148654 is a reply to message #148622] Fri, 25 November 2005 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> so I don't know what those people are upto everyday
Ah!. A frequent asked by my boss who is convinced that, i am the guy this article is talking about.
http://www.sdmagazine.com/documents/s=9889/sdm0510a/0510a.html

@OP
It depends from site to site.
Apart from posting (my rants and raves Smile ) in forums, i spend most of the time with
backups. The backups are 100% automated. If anything went south, i get paged/mailed. So i really do nothing with it in a day to day basis, except checking the backup logs. And backups logs are only logfiles i manually check every day.
But spend alot of time try to improve its(i.e., backup) reliability ( i have 4 different servers just for my testing purposes).
I write scripts for myself and for others ( monitors/database level reports /automated ones etc).
In last several years , i have been gifted with Great programmers/developers.
So i hardly get to write any real time code for business.
Mostly we sit together talk about design considerations ( they are always better than myself ) and all other
(cloying to many) topics. It was not an exaggeration, when Tom Kyte said
The key component to performance is the design - maybe the only component in fact.
programmers write code,make our business to happen and bring us more money.
I make them (and management) comfortable, feel secure, keep them informed and updated and I spend more money!.

In my spare time ( which is time more spent) in work and not-at-work, i update myself (reading docs/read forum responses and trying to reproduce them , visit a few dozen oracle related websites and blogs ).

[Updated on: Fri, 25 November 2005 18:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: what is daily duty of oracle DBA [message #148657 is a reply to message #148654] Fri, 25 November 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naveen19
Hi
Manesh Thanks for ur reply, which will help me a lot,
and people like u are always needed for budding Oracle DBA's like me, b'cos simple answer will given u people can help us a lot..

Regards,
Naveen Kumar.K

Re: what is daily duty of oracle DBA [message #148687 is a reply to message #148657] Sat, 26 November 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Did you read the franks response?
All said , holds good.
And in an interview, just say what you did.
A honest reply is a very healthy reply.
Re: what is daily duty of oracle DBA [message #148733 is a reply to message #148657] Sun, 27 November 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naveen19
Hi
Manesh
can u tell me what is the important things should be seen in the statspack report,

Thanks in advance,
Naveen.
Re: what is daily duty of oracle DBA [message #148734 is a reply to message #148733] Sun, 27 November 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
A quick google search got me here.
http://www.akadia.com/services/ora_statspack_survival_guide.html

and
the first name is replace('Manesh','n','h')

[Updated on: Sun, 27 November 2005 09:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: what is daily duty of oracle DBA [message #148745 is a reply to message #148734] Sun, 27 November 2005 19:48 Go to previous message
naveen19
thank you mahesh,
it work a lot

Regards,
Naveen
Previous Topic: Enterprise Resource Planning for Chartered Accountants:
Next Topic: migration course
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:34:37 CDT 2024