Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Is Oracle Database Free for Linux?
icon4.gif  Is Oracle Database Free for Linux? [message #140448] Tue, 04 October 2005 05:21 Go to next message
denu

I went to the site of Oracle. There I found a link to download Oracle 10g Database for Linux. I don't know whether that is a full product or just a trial version.

Can anybody tell me whether Oracle Database is available for free for Linux?
Re: Is Oracle Database Free for Linux? [message #140458 is a reply to message #140448] Tue, 04 October 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

I suppose free until you are using it for the learning purpose and need a license professionally.

It is a full version no trial.
Re: Is Oracle Database Free for Linux? [message #147235 is a reply to message #140458] Wed, 16 November 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
You can download Oracle database free of charge (also for Wintel) with a developer's license. Like Tarun said: once you start to use it for professional purposes, you need to buy a proper license.

MHE
Re: Is Oracle Database Free for Linux? [message #152241 is a reply to message #140448] Wed, 21 December 2005 16:59 Go to previous message
Hanabal T. Khaing
Oracle allows the download, but eventually you will need a commercial license or development license to get the patches.

Most of the time you will need atleast one patch to install Oracle on Linux, unless you are using SuSe 8.1 Enterprise Server or SuSe 9.2 Enterprise Server. SuSe 8.1 has less trouble installing Oracle than 9.2, but 9.2 has the newer libraries that run with the updates, performance updates, etc.

If you are just one user, you can get a named user license for $149 bucks. Licenses / CPU are more expensive and start at $4,995 / CPU for Standard Edition One (2CPU limit). From what I have seen the cheapest license one can get with full support including updates is about $1500 bucks.

Most of the time you can try to get out of paying for development if you already pay for commercial production support.
Previous Topic: Fix Oracle Errors On Linux Documentation For Sale
Next Topic: scripts behave differently
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:03:49 CDT 2024