Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Clustering
icon8.gif  Clustering [message #127398] Mon, 11 July 2005 09:29 Go to next message
jasony
Hi Everyone,

After we had a problem with our Oracle database 9.2.01, on Windows 2000 Advance server. The managment wants to move the Database server into a SAN (storage Aarea Network, EMC2), and make a cluster failover for the application. Does anyone know how to do this? and what are the requirement (both software and hardware).

My current system consists of this:

Windows 2000 Advanced server, Oracle 9.2.01, Websphere 5.2.60, and Taxware Enterprise 4.3, all the software sit in the same box, a DELL PowerEdge server.

Thanks in Advance,

Jason
Re: Clustering [message #127401 is a reply to message #127398] Mon, 11 July 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
DId you look into Oracle real application clusters?
Re: Clustering [message #127593 is a reply to message #127401] Tue, 12 July 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jasony
Thanks Mahesh,

I just downloaded the RAC document, I believe it might be the solution I am looking for. Is there anything else for clustering other tan RAC?

Best Regards,

Jason
Re: Clustering [message #127595 is a reply to message #127398] Tue, 12 July 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
I haven't done RAC myself, but I think you need some form of shared disk structure so that the instances can all use the same database. I believe the 10g and up solution to this would be to use ASM, and the 9i approach would be oracle file system (or oracle cluster file system?), or some third party tool. Butt the RAC guide should mention this.

If possible, I'd suggest going with 10g instead of 9.2.0.1
Re: Clustering [message #127710 is a reply to message #127398] Wed, 13 July 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
onkar

hi,

It had done RAC on win 2k,websphere 4(i guess). To do this u need to create OS level clustering first. Say if u have two nodes , then configure em , provide separate IPs and finally u will get on VIP(Virtual IP) which will be used for the client side config in oracle. then start with ORacle RAC installation using the documentation. Mind it some of the servers from IBM x series doesnt provide Active-Active RAC config. So u will have to check with the vendor too if the server is supporting A-A RAC or not. If it is then start with oracle installation using the guide as u need to run some of the pre-installation exe provided in the Oracle RAC CD (i don remember the names adjectly.. srry). Once the insatallation is over the oracle service will be created on both the nodes automatically. Almost same is the situation with Webspher also.

Hope this helps.
Embarassed
Re: Clustering [message #127991 is a reply to message #127710] Thu, 14 July 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jasony
Thanks Onkar,

I will have a try when I have the hardware ready. By the way, Do you know where I can download the CD CFS Prdoduct CD? I searched everywhere from Oracle website, and failed to find it.

Thanks again

Jason
Re: Clustering [message #132500 is a reply to message #127398] Sat, 13 August 2005 09:10 Go to previous message
skempins
I know this is a month late, so you may already be on RAC. Here goes anyway...

Since you want to use Dell and EMC hardware, I can highly recommend using Dell Professional Services. Last year when we moved to RAC, we had Dell come in and do the physical install of servers, the SAN hardware, tape library, configure the SAN, install O/S and Oracle software, and have a working RAC database in 3 days. Yes, it did cost money (about 9k I think) but it was well spent. Our RAC system has outstanding performance and reliability.

When I got my bonus check for executing such a sucessful migration project, I new that using Dell was a good choice.
Previous Topic: RAC upgrade from 9ir2 to 10g on RHAS3
Next Topic: RAC againt Cluster DB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:18:38 CDT 2024