Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Oracle RAC Failover
Oracle RAC Failover [message #121733] Tue, 31 May 2005 14:33 Go to next message
reidj
Hey there. thought i'd help some co-workers out here. We have Oracle 9i running RAC on Redhat Linux Enterprise. Two nodes. The problem we are having is that when one of the noeds crashes (ie: a kernal error) the second node will not take control. We can manually fail over the nodes but for some reason they will not do it automatically. Our Oracle DBA says it's a hardware issue but i don't see anything wrong with the hardware to not allow it to fail over. Any help would be great.

thanks,
Jim
Re: Oracle RAC Failover [message #121972 is a reply to message #121733] Thu, 02 June 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

What do you mean by "the second node does not take control"?

The surviving node should only do instance recovery for the failed instance. If you want clients to be migrated to the surviving node, you need to configure SQL*Net properly and use TAF (Transparent Application Fail-over).

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Oracle RAC Failover [message #126040 is a reply to message #121733] Thu, 30 June 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hanios25
Hi, Frank is right

you need to configure your clients tnsname.ora file to manage
failover, this is a sample of waht your tnasnames.ora may contian
to failover in instance crash case:
failover =
(DESCRIPTION =
(FAILOVER=ON)
(enable=broken)
(LOAD_BALANCE = yes)
(ADDRESS_LIST=
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = node1_IP)(PORT = 1521))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = node2_IP)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = ORC)(SERVER=DEDICATED)
(failover_mode=(type=select)(method=basic))
)
)

Re: Oracle RAC Failover [message #127942 is a reply to message #126040] Thu, 14 July 2005 04:45 Go to previous message
smartprg
Hi,
Can anyone explain me the failover TNSNAMES.ora file content by giving real example. The sample above shall be created seperatly with having the other existing connection parameter in the file.

Thanks,
Previous Topic: oracle rac installation in vmware workstation?
Next Topic: RAC & temp space allocation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:50:23 CDT 2024