Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » TNS problem
TNS problem [message #10844] Fri, 20 February 2004 00:11 Go to next message
Srinath
Hi:

I have a problem connecting to the external database located in other country.  I have oracle 9i server installed on my system. 

I have got hostname,oracle sid(service_name),portnumber,protocol and username/password.  I have entered everything perfect in tnsnames.ora.  I found that the people means they(the developers of that country) wont use tnsnames.ora file as they are using an Oracle Names Server. 

i do have sqlnet.ora file and tried both with nts and none as options in these files.  what else am i missing can anybody give full info about oracle names server and about my problem.

But when I am trying to connect using username/password@sid(service_name) i got ora-12154-tns couldnot resolve the serverice name error.

i get tns-12545 connect failed because target host or object does not exist from command line when i try tnsping from command prompt

Any help will be hight appreciated.

Please do not hesitate if you need any other info.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Re: TNS problem [message #10873 is a reply to message #10844] Sat, 21 February 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
venkey
see whether the service is started in the source server,if not the error will persist.sorry if i have misinterpreted
Re: TNS problem [message #10890 is a reply to message #10873] Sun, 22 February 2004 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Srinath
Hi Venky:

The service is up and running. I am able to ping the server from command prompt. I am not able to tnsping the service its giving tns-03505 error and sometimes tns-12545 error.

Any how i have request for the sqlnet.ora file from the server. Hope that solves the problem.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Srinath
Re: TNS problem [message #10901 is a reply to message #10890] Mon, 23 February 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shalini singh
1. U are able to ping the that means u have the access to the server.
It syntax is ping <Oracle server name>

2. For TNSping syntax is tnsping<Section entry name of tnsnames.ora>.

u might be giving TNSPing <oracle server name> that's why getting ora 03505 error .
For e.g.
if u have entry in tnsnames.ora as

P001.ADCORA2P =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 158.52.78.28)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = p001)
)
)

Then on commandprompt typr TNSPING P001.ADCORA2P

u can Check at your end.
Re: TNS problem [message #10908 is a reply to message #10901] Mon, 23 February 2004 19:58 Go to previous message
Srinath
Hi:

For the ping i have used the host name.

for tns ping i have used service name without default domain. Any how i tried with attaching the default domain name. but the same i am getting tns-12545 error.

I have contacted the dba, he told that he will be sending me the sqlnet.ora file from his server. I am hoping this will resolve the issue.

I have double checked tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora everything is perfect....

sqlnet.ora entries.

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = sri.com
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (TNSNAMES,ONAMES)
NAMES.PREFERRED_SERVERS =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = TCP.sri.com)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = nbp24676.sri.com)
(Port = 1521)
)
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = TCP.sri.com)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = nbp24676.sri.com)
(Port = 1521)
)
)
tnsnames.ora entries......

pacfd1.sri.com=
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = nbp24676.sri.com)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = pacfd1)
)
)

but as tns-12545 and ora-12154 errors are coming there is some problem with my client only.

I will try with replacing my sqlnet.ora file with the dba send.

if still problem persists then we need to think. I want to know what the thing which i am doing wrong.

I was able to connect to the other server but only when they send us the sqlnet.ora file. why is this happening.

thank a lot..
enjoy life
srinath
Previous Topic: TNSNAMES Connection
Next Topic: OID and Sun One Directory Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 04:00:43 CDT 2024