Home » Developer & Programmer » Designer » Listener
Listener [message #90761] Tue, 02 November 2004 05:50 Go to next message
Daxesh
Hello,

I have multiple databases on one machine for example TEST, PROD. Is it possible to run a listener for each database? If so, how? Also, how do I configure PORT? What are the other things do I need to take care to make this possible? Is there any documentation available? If so where and I do I get that?

Thanks in advance,

CD

Re: Listener [message #90762 is a reply to message #90761] Tue, 02 November 2004 09:20 Go to previous message
andrew again
Yes you can. I'd suggest changing the listener names so that you no longer have one using the default name "LISTENER" i.e. create "LISTENER_PRD" and "LISTENER_TST" with whatever different ports you choose (1521 is default on unix).

Oracle instances default to using "auto listener registration" which means that even if you don't have an entry in listener.ora for that instance, when you start the instance it'll register itself with the listener. The gotcha is that if you bounce the listener then it won't know about that instance.

Best to search on metalink.oracle.com for a full cookbook method for setting it up. It's not difficult, but there are numerous files to consider (including listener.ora, init.ora/spfile.ora and all tnsnames.ora).
Previous Topic: ER
Next Topic: significance of hoststring in oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:20:16 CDT 2024