Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » How to determine connect string?
How to determine connect string? [message #67527] Thu, 16 September 2004 05:38 Go to next message
shuttledude
I am a very new Oracle user and I need help with how to determine the connection string for a database.

I am installing Maximo 4.1.1 for Oracle databases.  I have created a sample Oracle 8i database (on Windows 2000 Server) named MAXIMO.  I can log onto the database, so I know the userid and password, but in order for my Maximo client to connect to the database I need to know the connection string. 

I looked in the tnsnames.ora file and found the information listed below.  So, is my connect string the same thing as the SERVICE_NAME?  Or do I need to run an Oracle utility to generate a connect string for this database?  The blank fields for DESCRIPTION and ADDRESS_LIST look suspicious to me.

MAXIMO =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oracle)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = MAXIMO.COMPSYS.COM)
    )
  )

Re: How to determine connect string? [message #67539 is a reply to message #67527] Thu, 23 September 2004 05:50 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Your connect string, as defined in your TNSNAMES.ORA file is MAXIMO. To test if it is working, do a "tnsping MAXIMO" from a cmd window, and try to connect using userid/password@MAXIMO.

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: can't connect to linux oracle 10g, firewall?
Next Topic: SUSe
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 03:38:48 CDT 2024