Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » can't connect to linux oracle 10g, firewall?
can't connect to linux oracle 10g, firewall? [message #67482] Thu, 19 August 2004 08:17 Go to next message
leoleo
I can tnsping the db on linux, but I can't do it using tnsping on my win2k from a different place... response is "timeout"

I think this is due to firewall setting on linux, since tnsping the linux IP also has timeout error.

Are there any tutorials on how to solve this problem?

Thanks
Re: can't connect to linux oracle 10g, firewall? [message #67484 is a reply to message #67482] Thu, 19 August 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MacDuck
Why do U think that the probem is in firewall? Try to ping (not TNSPING!!!) your Linux host from Win by typing >ping <linux_ip> from Windows command prompt.

Is it your private network? Try to turn off firewall using X/CDE network utility (I don't remember the name).
Re: can't connect to linux oracle 10g, firewall? [message #67487 is a reply to message #67484] Sun, 22 August 2004 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leoleo
tnsping the host returns time out error.
so does ping.

I am root on the linux box, and I sure configured firewall. but I just don't know exactly how to configure the firewall to work with ORACLE.
Re: can't connect to linux oracle 10g, firewall? [message #67501 is a reply to message #67487] Mon, 30 August 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hansjoerg
Hi

Had a similar problem. Could not connect from "the outside world" to to the linux box (tnsping etc. failed). Local (Linux) connects worked fine.

Found out that when using the Linux-boxe's name in the tns-listener configuration the listener might be listening on the local loopback address (127.0.0.1), and therefore packets addressed to the "real" (i.e. 192.xxx.yyy.zz) interface will not be processed. The listener is "blind" to packets addressed to the machines network adapter interface address.

Change your $ORACHE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora file (i.e. by using a text edior or with the supplied $ORACLE_HOME/bin/netmgr tool). The file should look like (the last address line is the one that helps):

# listener.ora Network Configuration File: /var/oracle/rdbms/product/10.1.0/db_2
/network/admin/listener.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = /var/oracle/rdbms/product/10.1.0/db_2)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = orcl.world)
(ORACLE_HOME = /var/oracle/rdbms/product/10.1.0/db_2)
(SID_NAME = orcl)
)
)

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = geo-ora-sde-linux.geo.lan)(PORT = 1521)
)
)
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
)
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.10.164)(PORT = 1521))
)
)

I simply added the numeric ip address. In case of DHCP assigned addresses this is not a "clean" way but I do not know by now how to force the listener to use the DHCP assigned ip when specifying the symbolic address.

Hope it helped

Hansjoerg
Re: can't connect to linux oracle 10g, firewall? [message #67535 is a reply to message #67501] Mon, 20 September 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leoleo
Many, many, many, many THANKS!
Re: can't connect to linux oracle 10g, firewall? [message #67536 is a reply to message #67501] Mon, 20 September 2004 17:48 Go to previous message
leoleo
problem persist even after modification... I think it is a firewall problem
Previous Topic: ORA-12514 ERROR...TNSPING WORKS
Next Topic: How to determine connect string?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 09:26:29 CDT 2024