Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Spoolspeed SQL*Plus
Spoolspeed SQL*Plus [message #67187] Fri, 23 January 2004 12:01 Go to next message
M. Unterguggenberger
I have to cope with a problem, if I spool the result from a Query via SQL*Plus to my client it takes hours to get the data out, even though spooling starts immediatly. If I do the same via MS SQLserver DTS Package, the result file will be processed in 1/10th of the time SQL*Plus takes.

Has anybody an idea how I can speed up SQL*PLus, as the network connection cannot be accused for the bad performance and I do not want to use SQL Server!

Thanks

Markus

Re: Spoolspeed SQL*Plus [message #67198 is a reply to message #67187] Wed, 04 February 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ilver
Hi Markus,

Spooling from SQLPlus is not the best way to gain performance.
Instead try creating a temporary table and then convert the table content using the DBMS_UTILITY package.
Or write direct to a file (bypassing the SQLPlus monitor) using another DBMS_UTILITY.
Brgds ilver
Re: Spoolspeed SQL*Plus [message #67203 is a reply to message #67198] Fri, 06 February 2004 13:13 Go to previous message
Markus Unterguggenberger
Hi Ilver!

Thanks for your advice, but as I am not an Oracle Expert I have one further Question:

As I am on a remote Unix sytem and I can access the Oracle Database only remotely, having to write the file also to the remote system, I have to use SQLPlus for access. Well on Windows I could use this OLEDB thing the DTS Package is using too, but on UNIX I don't know any other tool. I could start the DBMS_Utility via SQLPlus (instead of spooling) but I fear that would not make any difference. Also Databaslinks to a local Oracle Database did not help me, so I fear that SQLNet is the bottleneck.

But I'll give a try to your suggestions anyway,
thanks a lot

markus
Previous Topic: listener problem
Next Topic: listener
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 01:46:27 CDT 2024