Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #67171] Tue, 13 January 2004 09:23 Go to next message
Mark
This is similar to a question already posted. I had installed Designer9i. I can connect to all databases in SQL plus, as well as any connection that is on Application server. The only thing that has changed is the loadpsp function. The usual way is to cd.. to the directory where .psp file resides, then loadpsp....., but now I have to use a work around like copying the file(.psp) to the BIN directory to make it work or else it gives me the error ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve service name? Also, it caused the same error using A.S.P. in which it was working prior to installing Designer9i.

http://netwaydesign.com/ora_asp/statistics.asp

I did comment all the entries in sqlnet.ora, but no go

any suggestion would be great, thanks.
Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #67199 is a reply to message #67171] Wed, 04 February 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ilver
Hi,

Use tnsping.exe to get a more precise information on what exactly it is that the connect fails on.
You have edited SQLNET.ORA, but it could as well be the TNSNAMES.ORA or rather the path to you previous SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA that have been "broken"
-during installation of Designer9i.
My guess is that it have to do whith Oracle homes. Check if the Designer have created another ORACLE_HOME that now is the default, but doesn't contain the TNSNAMES.ORA you used before.
-If so just copy SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA to the "new home"
Brgds ilver
Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #67242 is a reply to message #67199] Fri, 05 March 2004 06:14 Go to previous message
Mark
Sorry, did'nt know anyone responded. I figured out the solution. It appears when you load designer on a machine with a pre-existing db, you should change the settings in REGEDIT, by adding a sting value to each home(TNS_ADMIN) and the value will be the path to the TNS.ora file.
So, now all HOMES read off the same TNS.ora file.

Thanks for the response ilver, and your solution would work as well, I tried that first but the tns file was not present in the designer home?
Previous Topic: creating Database link
Next Topic: connectin oracle 8i server from remote location using internet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 05:15:34 CDT 2024