Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Oracle 8/ D2K 6i setup problem in network.
Oracle 8/ D2K 6i setup problem in network. [message #67147] Wed, 10 December 2003 20:25 Go to next message
Prag
Hello friends,

Please help me to solve the problem of shifting my personal oracle 8 and D2K 6i programs to work on Win2000 network system. I’m describing my problem below:
This system has been developed using Oracle 8 (Personal edn) and D2K 6i. It is running well on a standalone system (my PC). But now, we have made all our computers working in a network system. We have made one PC as server (Win2000) and also set this PC as Oracle 8 (Enterprise edn.) Server. We have installed the Oracle Client version in all the other 4 workstations and now we can execute the SQL Plus 8.0 of the Enterprise edn. from the workstation. So our workstations are properly working as an Oracle Client, isn’t it?
But my D2K part has stopped working giving ‘TNS error: unresolved service name’ whenever I’m trying to execute any Form/ Report. I’ve installed the D2K 6i again but with no result. I’m confused, what should I do. Actually, now what should be the steps to be followed to make my forms / Reports to work on network?

1. Is there any Enterprise edn. concept in D2K? probably not. It’s a front end tool, isn’t it?

2. Should I keep all my Forms and Reports in Server machine and provide a link to the corresponding menu file (mymenu.mmx in server) from all the workstations?

3. Or I should keep the Forms / Reports to be loaded in every workstations?

I know I’ve to change my SQL codings to make it sharable. Please tell me what to do to run my Forms/ Reports in network? Any suggestion is the most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Prag.
Re: Oracle 8/ D2K 6i setup problem in network. [message #67148 is a reply to message #67147] Thu, 11 December 2003 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JONIWA HWENDA
You need to:
1. install forms and reports runtime on every client Pc.
2. Now configure the tnsnames on the client machines to connect to the server.
How: go to start
then programs
,, oracle
,, net8 easy config
this will take you thru. You need to supply the ip/Hostname of where the database is, the sid of the database

I am assuming that the listener is already configured on the server.

Now after testing you should be able to connect. Now you can have your forms and reports executables on one folder on your server. You can then map this folder to all the client mac hines.

Make sure you also include this mapped drive in the registry of the client machines.

If everything has been configured properly you should be able to connect.
Re: Oracle 8/ D2K 6i setup problem in network. [message #67149 is a reply to message #67148] Thu, 11 December 2003 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prag
Hi Joniwa,

Many many thanks to u. Exactly these r the steps i wanted to know. And yes, listener is already configured on the server. But I still have three questions:
1>Does the listener need to be configured for my w/s also?
2>I've tried to Easy config my work station's D2K's SQL* Net, but it is not working on any client machine saying 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down'. Is it that my D2K CD lacks this feature or it was not properly loaded?
3> And bye the way, how can I include the mapped drive in the registry of the client machines?

Regards,
Prag.
Re: Oracle 8/ D2K 6i setup problem in network. [message #67568 is a reply to message #67149] Fri, 15 October 2004 02:27 Go to previous message
Shakeel
1)listener file is for the server only. It listens for incoming request from client. It is not a part of Client machine.
2)If you have Oracle 9i, to configure Net Configuration, follow these steps:

go to Start Menu-Programs/Oracle-OraHome90
go to Configuration and Migration tools
and click Net Configuration Assistant. Enter Server name, port no. and SId.

3)Just map the Server drive on the client machine and click the checkbox 'Reconnect at startup'. This is enough.

It should solve your problem
Previous Topic: 9i listener/8i external procedures
Next Topic: Global temporary problem -14450 error.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 07:39:25 CDT 2024