Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » TNS Ping Over VPN
TNS Ping Over VPN [message #66140] Thu, 13 December 2001 23:12 Go to next message
Zahryl
I've setup a VPN connection using two Windows 2000 Servers. The VPN is OK as I can access the other network. The problem comes when I tried to do a TNS ping or SQLPlus, I got a "TNS: Operation timed out" message. I can run this if the connection is non-VPN.

Guys, if you have encounter this or have any idea please help. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: TNS Ping Over VPN [message #66174 is a reply to message #66140] Tue, 08 January 2002 02:31 Go to previous message
Farid
To allow sqlnet traffic to go through the firewall through specific ports you have to have a sqlnet proxy on your firewall. This is a feature that you
firewall vendor has to provide and support and is the only way you can get sqlnet traffic traverse the firewall through well known port. Except for the option of digging a hole in the firewall that allow port ranges access. This does not work too well and for reliable performance you do need a sqlnet proxy.

If you are receiving the ora-12535 error from tnsping as well as sqlplus, the client box is probably unable to find the listener for whatever reason. If the listener is definitely running and you are able to ping the listener's address from the client box but still can't tnsping it, you are probably running into a firewall issue.

The reason for this is that with tnsping failing you are probably timing out before the connection gets to the listener. You can verify that the listener is running by checking the status in lsnrctl or doing a loopback connection through it. You can verify that the listener's address is visible to the remote box by pinging it from the remote box. Firewalls generally filter by port number so this is the next logical thing to check. If the remote connection passes through a firewall and the listener's port has not been opened up you will see this error.

Please review the following note for more information on this issue.

119706.1 Troubleshooting Guide TNS-12535 & ORA-12535 Errors:
Previous Topic: Re: Host String
Next Topic: Windows 2000 connectivity problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 06:57:23 CDT 2024