Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Question about databses
Question about databses [message #684721] Wed, 04 August 2021 08:38 Go to next message
itmasterw
Hi,

I am new to Oracle but did take a course in college. Anyway have been working in SQL Server and in there we would have to first create a Database, and then tables for it.
However, in looking around I do not see this for PLSQL in oracle. Do they have databases or is it something else?

Thank you
Re: Question about databses [message #684722 is a reply to message #684721] Wed, 04 August 2021 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You first have to install Oracle software.
Then create a database (which is not the same thing than a database in SQL Server) and an instance on it.
Then connect to the instance using SYSTEM account and create a user which is also a schema granting it the appropriate privileges.
Then connect to this new user/schema and create the tables.

The first 2 steps can be done using Oracle installer from the files you downloaded.
Read the Oracle® Database 2 Day DBA book.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 August 2021 10:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Question about databses [message #684723 is a reply to message #684722] Wed, 04 August 2021 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
itmasterw
Hi,
Thanks for the information.
I see that I have to learn more about this so thanks for the link.
Re: Question about databses [message #684724 is a reply to message #684723] Wed, 04 August 2021 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
itmasterw wrote on Wed, 04 August 2021 10:34
Hi,
Thanks for the information.
I see that I have to learn more about this so thanks for the link.
and the first thing to learn is that every database product is implemented entirely differently from all others. In this specific question, the entire concept of "database" is different. It should also be noted that because of different internals, what is considered 'best practice' in one rdbms product is actually 'worst practice' in another. I'd suggest you begin with the Database Concepts manual.

In fact, the very fact that Oracle publishes the Concepts is something that seems a strange concept in the MSSQL world. When I took a bunch of oracle DBA courses (administered by Oracle) the emphasis was on architecture and database internals/implementation. Same when I took a course on IBM DB2. But when I took a course on MSSQL, the emphasis was on 'click here to make this happen'. Or 'do this, it works (until such time as it doesn't work, then you are on your own.)'
Re: Question about databses [message #684725 is a reply to message #684724] Wed, 04 August 2021 11:04 Go to previous message
itmasterw
Thanks
I agree learning the internals is a good way to start.

Thank you
Previous Topic: QUERY TO DISPLAY EDUCATION
Next Topic: BMP not correctly formated with UTF8 Characterset
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:48:06 CDT 2024