Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » know the size of our database backup file (oracle 11 g 2, os windows)
know the size of our database backup file [message #617194] Wed, 25 June 2014 19:21 Go to next message
anncao
We are new to oracle, using oracle 11G 2, windows os.
I know currently the backup we setup is to do weekend on Saturday level 0 backup, then daily cumulative incremental level 1 backup.
so in job scheduler, for weekend backup: repeat_interval => 'FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=SAT;BYHOUR=01;BYMINUTE=15',
for daily backup: repeat_interval => 'FREQ=DAILY;BYDAY=SUN,MON,TUE,WED,THU,FRI;BYHOUR=01;BYMINUTE=15',

I am trying to figure out the size of a full backup of our databse.
But when I look at the backup files in backup locations, I am a little confused. I know we use incremental backups.
Attached is a screenshot of Saturday and Sunday backups.
How can I read it, what is the total size of our backup files?
I know the format is like : format '\psproddb\backupset\%I_%s_%p_%M_%D_%Y'' tag ''L0''
also read in the backup script this line: allocate channel d1 type disk maxpiecesize=5G;
So in the format string, %I, %M,%D,%Y are easy to understand, it is hard for me to understand %P,%S,
why we have so many backup files in a day, if I add up all the files in Saturday's backup, is it the total size of a whole database backup?
If I want to do a manual full backup and just use one backup file, should it be the same size as those Saturdays'backup added up.

THanks
  • Attachment: Capture.GIF
    (Size: 57.04KB, Downloaded 1254 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 25 June 2014 19:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: know the size of our database backup file [message #617196 is a reply to message #617194] Wed, 25 June 2014 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
How many more times do you need to be asked to follow Posting Guidelines?

BlackSwan wrote on Wed, 29 January 2014 17:35

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 30 August 2013 08:51
Please read OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.
Make sure that lines of code do not exceed 80 characters when you format.
Indent the code, use code tags and align the columns in result.
Use the "Preview Message" or "Preview Quick Reply" button to verify.
Also always post your Oracle version, with 4 decimals.

Regards
Michel

Re: know the size of our database backup file [message #617240 is a reply to message #617194] Thu, 26 June 2014 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
So what are you expecting? A backupset may include several backup pieces (files), then number and size of which are controlled by a variety of parameters and their defaults. and a given backup operation will typically produce mutliple backup sets.

As for the total size, -- it's the sum of the individual sizes of all of the backup pieces involved in the given backup. Isn't that rather obvious? What else would it be?

An rman LIST BACKUP also shows the sizes .. (hint, hint)
Re: know the size of our database backup file [message #617565 is a reply to message #617240] Tue, 01 July 2014 13:11 Go to previous message
anncao
Thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 01 July 2014 13:18]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: How RMAN handles backup pieces sent to tape,when backup failed in halfway
Next Topic: Can you create new tablespace to existing .dbf file without overwriting the data?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:37:37 CDT 2024