Home » Other » Community Hangout » Question to former OpenWorld presenters
Question to former OpenWorld presenters [message #611169] Fri, 28 March 2014 13:49 Go to next message
matthewmorris68

While I have worked with Oracle for just under two decades, I have never been to OpenWorld. I plan to go this year and I am thinking about submitting a presentation. I have a topic in mind that I believe would garner some interest.

I'm sure that a number of people on this board have presented at OOW in the past and I would really appreciate some insight into what exactly is involved in the process.
Re: Question to former OpenWorld presenters [message #611171 is a reply to message #611169] Fri, 28 March 2014 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I went to Openworld in (I think) 1999. It was in Los Angeles (no doubt about that). My paper was titled "Beneath the surf: Oracle Application Server in theory and practice".
My boss (I was working for Oracle in ZA at the time) got me a budget of ZAR10000 for the trip, which was wonderful of him but even so I had to travel rock bottom prices. The official hotels were more than USD100 a night; I stayed in the Motel 6 on Hollywood Boulevard for USD30. You can survive on the freebies. Snacks through the day, and most evenings there was an event with some sort of food. The first night was geat: an Eagles soundalike band, some free drinks vouchers, plenty of nibbles. As speaker, you get an extra reception (with food and booze).
Most people are there on a jolly. All Xs paid, just having fun. I was there to speak and to learn. I went to as many lectures as I could. Most were rubbish. The interesting ones by people you have heard of are jammed full, you won't get in unless you start queueing well before the previous lecture in that hall has finished. To register for a workshop sesson, you need to be there the moment registration opens. I did that, and even so I could get into only one: something about Java, that no-one was interested in.
If you want to get a paper accepted, I think a snappy title is what matters. And it has to be up to date. If it doesn't say "12c" it won't be accepted.
As a speaker, you get a free pass. If you can work out a way of keeping the travel costs down, OK. But overall, I would never pay to go. Not worth a cent. Others may disagree. Probably because they have expense accounts.
Re: Question to former OpenWorld presenters [message #621086 is a reply to message #611171] Fri, 08 August 2014 10:51 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
Regarding Oracle open world, were you guys asked to provide feedback? The reason I am asking is that, today at work, via internal email I got to know that OOW feedback makes a huge impact at individial business unit's costs due to some untold reason. So I am eager to know from you folks who have had been attending OOW, whether feedback is seriously given that importance end of the day at OOW?

Regards,
Lalit
Previous Topic: Man and Woman
Next Topic: OTN forum upgraded! I don't like it, do you?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:05:53 CDT 2024