Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Change Database Character set
Change Database Character set [message #575682] Fri, 25 January 2013 11:31 Go to next message
aalmoosa
Hi all,

Currently my oracle database character set is we8mswin1252 and it is only containing English data as well as spatial data (which is in English of course). I would like to change the Database character set so it could accept Arabic characters.

I have checked the below command on a test DB and it worked fine, but I want to know if it's recommended as a best practice when changing the character set to accept arabic and this won't corrupt my old entered Data ???

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
STARTUP RESTRICT
ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET INTERNAL_USE AR8MSWIN1256
SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
STARTUP

Re: Change Database Character set [message #575684 is a reply to message #575682] Fri, 25 January 2013 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
when all else fails Read The Fine Manual

"You can no longer change the database character set or the national character set using the ALTER DATABASE statement. Refer to Oracle Database Globalization Support Guide for information on database character set migration."

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Re: Change Database Character set [message #575686 is a reply to message #575682] Fri, 25 January 2013 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
In addition, it is REALLY silly to use something like INTERNAL_USE.
NEVER use something you do not understand.
NEVER blindly copy and paste something you find in the Web.

Regards
Michel
Re: Change Database Character set [message #575687 is a reply to message #575686] Fri, 25 January 2013 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aalmoosa
so that why i put my inquiry over here so i can get proper feedback!!!
and regarding the INTERNAL_USE command I've used it on a test DB !!

although i didn't find a lot of explanation about the INTERNAL_USE command but if someone could explain it would be great ? and in my case are there any other proper way to change my DB character set ?
Re: Change Database Character set [message #575691 is a reply to message #575687] Fri, 25 January 2013 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
which part of below do you NOT understand?

Refer to Oracle Database Globalization Support Guide for information on database character set migration.
Re: Change Database Character set [message #575694 is a reply to message #575687] Fri, 25 January 2013 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
although i didn't find a lot of explanation about the INTERNAL_USE command but if someone could explain it would be great ?

INTERNAL_USE means for Oracle Internal Use ONLY.
This is why you do not find anything about it in Oracle documentation.
And this is why, if you want to use it you have to call Oracle Support first.
As I said, if you don't understand a parameter or option, do not use it.

As for the proper way to do it, it is:
1/ Create a new database
2/ Export the old one
3/ Import in the new one
4/ Drop the old database

Regards
Michel
Re: Change Database Character set [message #575698 is a reply to message #575694] Fri, 25 January 2013 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aalmoosa
Thank you Michel it is quite obvious now but please check my PM in your inbox
Re: Change Database Character set [message #575704 is a reply to message #575698] Fri, 25 January 2013 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I checked it and this does not change my answer.
The fact you had no problem in test does not mean you will not have some in production unless Oracle certifies it.
You cannot rely on a simple test, you don't know what INTERNAL_USE did or not; maybe something will appear after a couple of weeks and then you will have lost these weeks work (and I hope you don't work for a nuclear plant, a bank or an hospital).
ONLY Oracle can tell you if it's OK or not.

Regards
Michel
Re: Change Database Character set [message #575711 is a reply to message #575704] Fri, 25 January 2013 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aalmoosa
now it is almost two months since i have tested this command and i didn't face any problem, you have mentioned that "something will appear after a couple of weeks" i understand that the main problem is corrupting the DB and loosing the data after issuing the command.. but what type of problems exactly i must put in my Consedration ?? are we talking about "something" related to the core of Oracle DB such as system tablespaces or views definitions ... etc ??
Re: Change Database Character set [message #575712 is a reply to message #575711] Fri, 25 January 2013 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Who knows? As no one but Oracle know what is done when you use INTERNAL_USE option.

Regards
Michel
Re: Change Database Character set [message #575950 is a reply to message #575694] Tue, 29 January 2013 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robert0380
[quote title=Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 25 January 2013 13:28]Quote:
although i didn't find a lot of As for the proper way to do it, it is:
1/ Create a new database
2/ Export the old one
3/ Import in the new one
4/ Drop the old database

Regards
Michel

Just curious, why wasn't this part of the first response to the original question? Links to and suggestions to read the documentation are great, but there isn't much value in the response if that's ALL you give.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2013 13:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Change Database Character set [message #575953 is a reply to message #575950] Tue, 29 January 2013 13:47 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Because the main purpose of this forum is to help people learn and to learn they have to think by themselves and not directly get a "solution".

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2013 13:48]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: sql plus transaction ...
Next Topic: find Database Size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:23:20 CDT 2024