Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle Database Shutdown Failed. (Oracle 9.2, Windows Server 2003)
Oracle Database Shutdown Failed. [message #572702] Sun, 16 December 2012 06:43 Go to next message
JKotey

EDIT: Please delete this post. I have been able to shutdown and restart. It was all a matter of just waiting patiently!

Hello all,

I issued a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE command on my database and for over 2 hours and got no response. I did this because I wanted to restart the database due to many hanging sessions which had led to high CPU usage on the server by oracle process. See screenshot below:

Then I foolishly tried to stop the OracleService<dbname> instance using the Windows Services screen which failed with an error 1053 message. At the same time I got an ORA-01013 message saying user requested cancel of operation. See below:

SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
ORA-01013: user requested cancel of current operation
SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
ORA-01089: immediate shutdown in progress - no operations are permitted
SQL> SHUTDOWN ABORT
ORA-24324: service handle not initialized
ORA-01041: internal error. hostdef extension doesn't exist

What I want to know is how do I proceed? Also how do I check to see the status of the Shutdown operation? I am still trying to get the alert log for you to have a look at.
  • Attachment: optimaDB1.png
    (Size: 65.64KB, Downloaded 939 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 16 December 2012 07:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle Database Shutdown Failed. [message #572708 is a reply to message #572702] Sun, 16 December 2012 07:46 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Important note for those who will have the same problem:

Quote:
EDIT: Please delete this post. I have been able to shutdown and restart. It was all a matter of just waiting patiently!

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Upgrade Database from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.3
Next Topic: Create List Subpartition for an existing List partition
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:52:44 CDT 2024