Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to reduce the size of a table in Oracle 8 (Oracle 8.0.3)
How to reduce the size of a table in Oracle 8 [message #567489] Tue, 02 October 2012 03:29 Go to next message
oraclegac
Hi all,

One of our solaris machines is running Oracle 8.0.3

A table reached the 2 Gb size and oracle failed due to the operating system file size limitation.

The information in the table is not relevant and can be deleted, but the table contains a lot of indexes.

I would like to know the best procedure to delete the information and reduce the size of the file.

Thanks for your help

Re: How to reduce the size of a table in Oracle 8 [message #567490 is a reply to message #567489] Tue, 02 October 2012 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
export / drop table / shrink (resize) file / import

Regards
Michel
Re: How to reduce the size of a table in Oracle 8 [message #567492 is a reply to message #567490] Tue, 02 October 2012 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraclegac
Hi Michel, thanks for your answer.

I do not want the records in the table. Why is it necessary export/import?

By the way, when I execute the drop table command I get this error:

"unique/primary keys in table referenced by foreing keys"

Thanks for your help
Re: How to reduce the size of a table in Oracle 8 [message #567493 is a reply to message #567492] Tue, 02 October 2012 04:33 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
So drop with the option "cascade constraints".
If you don't want the data you can truncate the table (after disabling the foreign keys).
Then you can try to resize the files but it may not be possible and so you have to export the objects in the tablespace and drop them before resizing the files and reimporting the objects.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Database upgrade and XDB
Next Topic: Modified objects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:30:35 CDT 2024