Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » My first suggestion. (10 XE)
My first suggestion. [message #554329] Sat, 12 May 2012 18:41 Go to next message
dragam
Hi all,

Just joined the forum. I have to say, it puts the Oracle forums to shame
in terms of functionality and presentation.

I have just one slight niggle.

When one is looking at a thread - the message headers have the message ID which is being
responded to in the following format:

Re: project [message #554298 is a reply to message #554294]

Instead of, say:

Re: project [message #554298 is a reply to Joe_Bloggs]

It's difficult for the human mind to keep track of message ID but rather easier to
remember a name.

Just a thought - keep up the good work guys.

Paul...

Re: My first suggestion. [message #554331 is a reply to message #554329] Sat, 12 May 2012 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I would rather see a combination, such as:

Re: project [message #554298 is a reply to Joe_Bloggs message #554294]

as there can be more than one message from a particular person in a thread, so the message number is needed to uniquely identify it. However, the quick reply is set to reply only to the last post in the thread and that is what most people do anyhow. If it is not clear who we are responding to, then we usually include their name at the top of the reply.
Re: My first suggestion. [message #554332 is a reply to message #554331] Sat, 12 May 2012 21:05 Go to previous message
dragam
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Sun, 13 May 2012 02:43
I would rather see a combination, such as:

Re: project [message #554298 is a reply to Joe_Bloggs message #554294]

as there can be more than one message from a particular person in a thread, so the message number is needed to uniquely identify it. However, the quick reply is set to reply only to the last post in the thread and that is what most people do anyhow. If it is not clear who we are responding to, then we usually include their name at the top of the reply.

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for your input - yes, by all means, keep the message ID as well - my point was to
add the name. But, I wasn't really talking about replying to person x - it was more about
following who said what to whom in a largeish thread.

Paul...

Previous Topic: How do I set my .sig?
Next Topic: attack page?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:53:37 CDT 2024