Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Two LAN Cards for Network Traffic Control Advantage (Oracle 10gR2 10.2.0.4/5, AIX 6.1)
Two LAN Cards for Network Traffic Control Advantage [message #553265] Wed, 02 May 2012 23:56 Go to next message
Rektanocrit

What is the advantage of using two LAN Cards for network traffic control? Will this affect the performance of our database? Or it is just the same as for having only one LAN Card?

We are using single instance database. We have around 200-300 users.
Re: Two LAN Cards for Network Traffic Control Advantage [message #553343 is a reply to message #553265] Thu, 03 May 2012 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>What is the advantage of using two LAN Cards for network traffic control?
Perhaps no advantage. What problem exists that second LAN card might improve or fix?

>Will this affect the performance of our database?
No.

>Or it is just the same as for having only one LAN Card?
It depends. Second LAN might help if the network has a bottleneck; which is a rare situation.
Re: Two LAN Cards for Network Traffic Control Advantage [message #553365 is a reply to message #553265] Thu, 03 May 2012 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rektanocrit

Thanks BlackSwan!

>What problem exists that second LAN card might improve or fix?
Our current system uses only one LAN Card, but then we plan to migrate to a more powerful machine. Now the higher ups was asking me if using two LAN card would increase the performance of our database.

>It depends. Second LAN might help if the network has a bottleneck; which is a rare situation.
What do you mean by the "network has a bottleneck"? Can you give me an example? I'll research more about network. Very Happy
Re: Two LAN Cards for Network Traffic Control Advantage [message #553369 is a reply to message #553365] Thu, 03 May 2012 22:24 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>What do you mean by the "network has a bottleneck"?
When computer folks refer to a bottleneck, it is analogous to pouring water from a bottle.
The flow of water coming out of a bottle is limited by the diameter of the neck of the bottle.
In a computer system four classic bottlenecks may exist; CPU, RAM, I/O, & Network.
When a computer system has CPU as the bottleneck, adding RAM, I/O channels or 2nd LAN card won't make application faster.
Only when existing LAN card is running at 100% capacity & processes must wait to place data on the cable would adding second LAN card result in faster application.

>Can you give me an example? I'll research more about network.
One place I worked, I was able to have a dedicated disk array, just for RMAN backups.
A second LAN card was installed in the DB Server.
Then RMAN could send data over a dedicated & isolated subnet to the backup disk array.
This isolated all backup activity away from the subnet between application server & the DB Server.
Previous Topic: database cloning
Next Topic: error ORA-12154
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:35:35 CDT 2024