Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » trying to enable automatic archiving / problem with location of parameter file!!
trying to enable automatic archiving / problem with location of parameter file!! [message #51055] Tue, 23 April 2002 04:48 Go to next message
gert van gaever
I'm trying to put a database into automatich archiving (with archivelog mode of course)
The parameter file is (should be) in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. The 'initoldap.ora' file over there is a link to another directory!
When I change this parameter file, and shutdown/restart the database, the automatic archiving is NOT started!

(added: LOG_ARCHIVE_START=TRUE
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST=/orahome/9.0.1/dbs/arch
LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT=arch%s.arc)

When I change LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST in the parameter file mentioned above, and then shutdown/restart, the archive destination (when I type archive log list) still is the same!
When I use 'startup pfile=<changed parameter file>', the automatic archiving is enabled AND the archive destination has CHANGED!!

Do it seems I'm working on the WRONG parameter file?!
So HOW do I determine WHICH parameter file is used????

Tnx
Gert
Re: trying to enable automatic archiving / problem with location of parameter file!! [message #51056 is a reply to message #51055] Tue, 23 April 2002 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nita
When you restart the DB after changing init file try

svrmgrl> connect sys as sysdba;
svrmgrl> startup mount exclusive;
svrmgrl> alter database archivelog;
svrmgrl> archive log start;
svrmgrl> alter database open;

Have fun!
Re: trying to enable automatic archiving / problem with location of parameter file!! [message #51070 is a reply to message #51055] Tue, 23 April 2002 07:33 Go to previous message
Sanjay Bajracharya
Got to the root folder '/' and do a find on 'init.ora'.

cd /
find . -name initSID.ora

Godd luck.
Previous Topic: How to Change SQL Prompt
Next Topic: Access to Data Dictionary
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 19 21:26:11 CDT 2024