Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » 8i migration - full import or schema imports ? Cons and pros
8i migration - full import or schema imports ? Cons and pros [message #50911] Sun, 14 April 2002 13:19 Go to next message
jaroszewski
We are planning to use export/import method to migrate from 7.3.4 to 8i. What are the positives and negatives between using full import versus schema imports ?
Re: 8i migration - full import or schema imports ? Cons and pros [message #50912 is a reply to message #50911] Sun, 14 April 2002 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seng
Positive-
1. Easy to migrate with import.
2. Cross platform migration

Negative-
1. If large database then more space and time to do import.
2. OS might have limitation in file size to keep very huge data import from database.

Hope this is helping.
Re: 8i migration - full import or schema imports ? Cons and pros [message #50916 is a reply to message #50911] Mon, 15 April 2002 02:38 Go to previous message
Sergio
Full database import is preferrable if users of your new database will be the same (I think it's your case if you are just migrating from old version to new).
Positives:
-no user creation needed
-all roles are migrating to new database
-all synonyms are migrating too

negatives:
-if list of users in new database is different you will have to drop some
-new database should not have users with same names as old database before import

Individual schema import is preferrable only if you don't want to create all users (with their rights like in source database) automatically.

positives:
-no (in your case) :-)

negatives:
-you will have to create all users manually
-you will have to create all roles manually
-if you have any objects in source database residing in sys schema you should migrate it manually
Previous Topic: Re: ocp *.* - dumps,braindumps,kits,cbt,tbt,sts......
Next Topic: Re: License Pricing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 19 21:23:21 CDT 2024