Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to put the instance on single user mode
How to put the instance on single user mode [message #50559] Thu, 21 March 2002 06:43 Go to next message
sai
I am sybasesql server dba.Now I am working on oracle.
so bear with for asking silly questions.

1.How do i block access to users on an oracle instance? I just want the sys and system to login to
the instance?

2.Do I have to build an instance each and everytime
when I need to add a database?

THanks in advance
Sai
Re: How to put the instance on single user mode [message #50561 is a reply to message #50559] Thu, 21 March 2002 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
SVRMGRL> startup restrict

or

svrmgrl> alter system enable restricted session

In this case all current connections will still be connected but no new connections will be allowed.
Re: How to put the instance on single user mode [message #50576 is a reply to message #50559] Fri, 22 March 2002 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sai
Thankyou very much.

DO I have to create separate instance if I want to say
move an application from one server to another?

We are planning to move instances from 3 different boxes to a single giant box ?

How do I go about it?
Re: How to put the instance on single user mode [message #50580 is a reply to message #50559] Fri, 22 March 2002 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
I would create three seperate instances set up the same way as the current ones. Cloning would be the easiest way. Take a look at this link http://www.idevelopment.info/data/DBA_tips/DBATIP_31.shtml. and it will get you started. The nice thing is the current databases will not be effected cause you copy the datafiles over and leave the originals in tact.
Re: How to put the instance on single user mode [message #50583 is a reply to message #50580] Fri, 22 March 2002 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sai
Thanks a bunnnccch
Re: How to put the instance on single user mode [message #50585 is a reply to message #50559] Fri, 22 March 2002 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike
Sai,

I just want to informe you (I case you don't know it yet) that you cannot compare an Oracle DB with a Sybase DB.

A Sybase DB or DB owner is more somthing like an Oracle Schema combined with somthing like a tablespace.

You shouldn't use the same criteria for Oracle and Sybase to define if you need a new database.

You may have a look at the following document to see the difference between Sybase and Oracle:
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/tech/migration/workbench/doc_library/20200/sqlserver7/toc.htm

Or to undertsand the concept of Oracle have a look at:
http://download-east.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901_doc/server.901/a88856/toc.htm

HTH
Mike
How to put instance on single user [message #50606 is a reply to message #50585] Mon, 25 March 2002 04:17 Go to previous message
sai
Thankyou very much mike ,Grant

In fact the links are interesting. In fact Grant
inputs satisfied my needs. We are sybase,sqlserver shop
new applications are build in oracle.Since I am a novice I come with weird questions.Your i/ps saved a
bunch of work

Thanks
Sai
Previous Topic: Re: Oracle Paging and Swapping
Next Topic: distributed_lock_timeout parameter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 13:22:15 CDT 2024