Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » help to begin
help to begin [message #50432] Thu, 14 March 2002 13:29 Go to next message
David
Hello, I am trying to use Oracle. The state of oracle is installed. I would need some link on how to start a first database as the admin (i mean all the configuration stuff you need to do.).

Because presently the person who installed it seem to have created a dhp0 database that I can see from the oemapp dbastudio but when I click on it I get the error: ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist.

I read the thread about that and try to add a database with the file add database to tree and then choose the option add selected database from your local tnsnames.ora file located in /u01/product/8.1.7.0.1/network/admin but no service name shows up (btw, the file tnsnames.ora is there and it's content is:
####################################
# TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration File:/u01/product/8.1.7.0.1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle Enterprise Manager V2
# Date..........: Tue Feb 26 19:33:47 EST 2002
####################################

DHP0 =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dhp0)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = dhp0)(SERVER = DEDICATED))
)

)

I also tryied the howto located at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Oracle-7-HOWTO-3.html to create a database but when I start the @makedb I get a bunch of error of type ORA-01109: database not open.

However when I use startup nomount from the svrmgrl it tell me instance started.

So has you can see it is pretty screwed up and I need to figure how to repair it without reinstalling it.

Also if you have any link on any tutorial for oracle I would apreciate them, they seem to be rare on search engine.

Thanks a lot,
david
Re: help to begin [message #50434 is a reply to message #50432] Thu, 14 March 2002 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Lenz
"startup nomount" will start the database but not "mount" or "open" it. Try just "startup". Also start the oracle listener.

To start the database make sure your ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID env variable are set correctly.
on UNIX do:
echo $ORACLE_HOME
if it is missing set it using:
export ORACLE_HOME=(path to oracle home)
(do same with ORACLE_SID)
make sure $ORACLE_HOME/bin is in your PATH

from a command shell execute:
lsnrctl start
this will start the Oracle listener process (if listener is set to the default name). now start the database using:

svrmgrl
connect internal (or "connect / as sysdba")
startup

if this startup command fails from svrmgrl do:
shutdown immediate
startup mount
recover database
alter database open;

if this doesn't work you will need to call Oracle or hire someone to fix it for you.
Re: help to begin [message #50446 is a reply to message #50432] Fri, 15 March 2002 05:12 Go to previous message
Grant
I have seen this when Oracle was not shutdown clean and it thinks it is still running. Make sure your Oracle environment variables are set. Go into server manager and connect internal on dhp0 and type:

SVRMGRL> shutdown abort
SVRMGRL> startup

Verify your listener is up:

lsnrctl status

If it isn't up type:

lsnrctl start

On your client verify you can ping the server:

ping dhp0

If you do not get a reply then talk to your network person or do a "ping -a dhp0" in a DOS window and replace dhp0 with the IP address on your client and try again.
Previous Topic: Recreating Views
Next Topic: Re: ocp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 11:49:13 CDT 2024