Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » binary file edit to change dbid in datafile
binary file edit to change dbid in datafile [message #50386] Wed, 13 March 2002 12:21 Go to next message
geraldine
Does anyone know where the dbid is in the file header of a datafile? I want to edit it with a binary file editor. I am running Oracle 8.1.7.
Thanks.
Re: binary file edit to change dbid in datafile [message #50420 is a reply to message #50386] Thu, 14 March 2002 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Lenz
Why do you want to do this?
can you recreate the controlfile and use a new name?

are you moving a datafile (tablespace) to another database? if so you can use transportable tablespaces. (make sure you are all patched up)
Re: binary file edit to change dbid in datafile [message #50426 is a reply to message #50386] Thu, 14 March 2002 09:25 Go to previous message
geraldine
The reason I need to do this is the following:
1) We had cloned a development db from production using rman
2) We needed to test an rman backup on the cloned db.
3) However, the rman duplicate database command failed towards the end when cloning and therefore the cloned db had the same dbid as production.
4) I then followed instructions posted on Oracle metalink to change the dbid, recreate the controlfile and change noresetlogs to resetlogs.
5) The problem came then when I tried to run the create controlfile command.
6) The redo logs are marked internally as being inconsistent.
7) The only way to open the cloned development database now is to "manually" set the dbid to what it used to be because now database will not open.
8) Developers had code in the development db which they had not backed up.

So, do you know where is or how I can locate the dbid using a binary file editor?
Thx.
Geraldine
Previous Topic: Re: Certain tables do not show in ALL_TABLES
Next Topic: Re: Certain tables do not show in ALL_TABLES
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 11:24:57 CDT 2024