Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » temporary tablespace - question
temporary tablespace - question [message #50170] Tue, 05 March 2002 02:17 Go to next message
iohann
I have next problem:
During execution of insert or update statements on indexed tables database hangs for some time, temporary tablespace begin grow up, hard disk shows heavily activity.
Server - Oracle 8.1.6 on linux Red Hat 7.2.
This problem started when I upgraded Red Hat Linux 7.0
to version 7.2. I have no problems before.
Please help
Re: temporary tablespace - question [message #50178 is a reply to message #50170] Tue, 05 March 2002 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saleem
your sort area size parameter may not be large enough to handle the sorts oracle needs to perform when executing the queries, so it creates a temp segment for you in the temp tablespace and then conducts the sort there. try increasing sort_area_size in your SGA and then see if the disk activity cuts down.
Re: temporary tablespace - question [message #50185 is a reply to message #50178] Tue, 05 March 2002 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiran srirama
just before increasing the sort_area_size parameter...please perform the following action:

select sorts(disk), sorts(memory) from v$sysstat;

if sorts(disk) value > 5% sorts(memory) then this is a clear indication that you have to increase ur sort_area_size parameter in initSID.ora fine.

regz
Kiran
Re: temporary tablespace - question [message #50218 is a reply to message #50170] Wed, 06 March 2002 07:25 Go to previous message
Wei Lang
The database is updating the indexes on the table after DML. If it is OLTP system, too much indexes is a bad thing especially bitmap indexes.

Wei
Previous Topic: Re: Import oracle dmp file
Next Topic: Oracle instance service status shows like starting instead of started after reboot the system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 11:00:56 CDT 2024