Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Reducing the size of the System Table Sapce
Reducing the size of the System Table Sapce [message #50061] Tue, 26 February 2002 19:27 Go to next message
Milind S Deobhankar
Hi,

I Need a help regarding restoring the size of the system table space.

What actually happen is that I was having oracle server 8.1.7 on my PC but due to some reason my pc was used as stand by database and 5 new users were created and the dump was imporeted in it.

Following thing i had caaried out for the same.
1)Created two tablespace with auto extend feature.
2) Spanned the system tablespace in two hard disk.

Now there is no requirement of the stand by so i drop all user and the newly created tablespace. I worked fine after dropping the tablespace i even deleted the tablespace .mdb files no problem at all. But the system tablespace does not come to the original size nor it allow to delete the .mdb file which i had added for the same.

Size of the system tablespace is increased by 200 % from the inital , we had moved one user to use system as default tablespace but now i had deleted the user still the size of the system tablespace remain as it is.

So can anybody tell hoe to reduce the size of the system tablespace in such senerio.

Thanks in advance
Re: Reducing the size of the System Table Sapce [message #50095 is a reply to message #50061] Thu, 28 February 2002 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saleem
Simple rule about oracle. after installation never ever do anything to the system tablespace. no users have access to it, no objects go in it. no resizing, no alteration, no nothing. leave your system tablespace exactly as it is. if you have any objects in there not created by oracle move them out. if you attempt to play around with the system tablespace and make one mistake, your database is toast.
Re: Reducing the size of the System Table Sapce [message #50098 is a reply to message #50061] Thu, 28 February 2002 08:12 Go to previous message
andrew again
As far as I know, there is nothing holy about the system TS except that you shouldn't mess with pctused, pctfree etc. You can only shrink the data file to the high water mark. Move tables and indexes out which shouldn't be there. While you are about it check to see if SYSTEM TS is specified as the default TS for ordinary users and rectify that.
alter table ABC move tablespace USERS;
alter index ABC_IX rebuild tablespace INDEX_TS;
(if the table moves, the indexes MUST be rebuilt because the rowids change).
see the query at this link...
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:548109::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:153612348067,
Previous Topic: Re: MTS+Extproc..
Next Topic: Re: ora-125-- and ora-12560
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 12:21:53 CDT 2024