Home » Other » Client Tools » if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? (Oracle 11g, Windows)
if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #527048] Fri, 14 October 2011 14:21 Go to next message
BeckyinDC
I am not a DBA.

I was a very contented software tester with SQLPlus skills when I had access to the classic version.

I guess all things must come to an end as we have started seeing our systems under test migrate to 11g...and along comes the DOS prompt SQL*Plus.

Where I could previously ignore the cries that TOAD was better, I no longer have my right-click copy/paste option, and I don't know alot about the DOS prompt command line.

Our test lab administrator would like us to start working with SQL Developer for our testing needs...I am guessing because it installs automatically with the database. I read TOAD has a bit more functionality at this point(correct?)

What is better for a general database user with background of classic SQL Plus- the dos prompt SQL Plus or the more visual SQL developer?
Re: if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #527050 is a reply to message #527048] Fri, 14 October 2011 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I guess all things must come to an end as we have started seeing our systems under test migrate to 11g...and along comes the DOS prompt SQL*Plus.

Which existed far before 11g.
Tell me what are the differences between Windows SQL*Plus and DOS SQL*Plus that turn this latter one bad?

Quote:
I no longer have my right-click copy/paste option, and I don't know alot about the DOS prompt command line.

You still have, it just needs you click on "c:\" icon top left, then on "Properties", "Options" tab and check something like "Fast edition mode" and clck on "OK".

Quote:
the dos prompt SQL Plus or the more visual SQL developer?

No doubt from me, although I quite like SQL Developer, I still use and will use SQL*Plus forever.

Regards
Michel
Re: if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #527053 is a reply to message #527050] Fri, 14 October 2011 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BeckyinDC
awesome! so I can get that ability to right-click and copy paste back. then I will experiment before jumping ship. thank you very much. have a great weekend!
Re: if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #527089 is a reply to message #527053] Sat, 15 October 2011 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes, but it is in 3 steps: 1) you select, 2) you type on return, 3) you right-click instead of the select+right-click of Windows SQL*Plus.
In addition, you have a lines memory you can access with the up and bottom arrows and you can modify the current line with the left and right arrows, much better than the Windows SQL*Plus which just allows you to erase what you wrote using backspace.

This is not specific to SQL*Plus, this is DOS box properties and so you have it for any command in the DOS box in or outside a program.

Regards
Michel
Re: if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #527232 is a reply to message #527089] Mon, 17 October 2011 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
My dos box lets me select then two right clicks to paste it. First one copies, second one pastes.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

There's also open source software called cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) - kind of mimics linux in windows. Given you're in testing I'm not sure you'd get a hold of it, but it is worth a look.
Re: if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #527236 is a reply to message #527232] Mon, 17 October 2011 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
My dos box lets me select then two right clicks to paste it.

Right! It also works in other versions.

Regards
Michel
Re: if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #528768 is a reply to message #527236] Wed, 26 October 2011 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david_bathu
Hi all,
I was familiar with SQL *Plus in Oracle 9i;
i downloaded Oracle 11g R2; this SQL*Plus is not available. I could only connect through windows cmd console. Why is this so? Do we have to install Sql*Plus separately?
Thanks in advance
Re: if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #528770 is a reply to message #528768] Wed, 26 October 2011 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
bcm@bcm-laptop:~$ sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Wed Oct 26 21:55:34 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: user1/user1

Connected to:
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL> 

>Do we have to install Sql*Plus separately?
no
Re: if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #528774 is a reply to message #528768] Thu, 27 October 2011 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Windows SQL*Plus (sqlplusw.exe) no more exists, it is an Oracle choice.
As you saw, you still have the DOS version, sqlplus.exe.
What is the problem with this DOS version compared to the Windows one?

Regards
Michel

Re: if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #528825 is a reply to message #528774] Thu, 27 October 2011 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david_bathu
Hi Michel,
thanks for your response and for educating me on this. I am bit old (53yrs) and trying to understand this 11g now. I am a Chemist (not a hardcore IT Professional), so please bear with me (and my too basic questions).

Yes, you are right, I do not have any problem with DOS version. But I do not see those two items (Show all; Show/Hide) on the top of my DOS based SQL window. Then I thought, my installation gone wrong beacoz, I did not know Oracle removed the standard GUI and now these two items missing (see the post of Mr. Swan above showing these two pieces).

Anyway, thanks again.....
Re: if you liked classic SQL Plus , what now? [message #528827 is a reply to message #528825] Thu, 27 October 2011 06:35 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
"Select all" and "Show/Hide" are parts of this Forum's CODE displaying feature, they are not related to your operating system's command prompt window.
Previous Topic: Spool Output and Rollback.
Next Topic: sql pls (merged 2)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:03:06 CDT 2024