Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Manually Creating a Database: where to copy init{sid}.ora
Manually Creating a Database: where to copy init{sid}.ora [message #49966] Wed, 20 February 2002 23:43 Go to next message
Chetan
Hi.

We are using Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows 2000. I need to develop a batch script for our customer, which will create a new database as per our specs and load a Oracle dump file. Before running the command "Create database..." where should I copy the init{sid}.ora file ? We need to specify values for some of the init.ora parameters which are different from the default values.
Re: Manually Creating a Database: where to copy init{sid}.ora [message #49990 is a reply to message #49966] Thu, 21 February 2002 20:22 Go to previous message
seng
In your method, first you have to makesure that create a database, which is similar to production before you can use production init(sid).ini and import the dump file.

if you need similar database as production, then my suggestion is to clone similar database.

To clone the database. Below is the step
UNIX
1. Backup the control file for Eximdm with this command.

ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE.

this command will create the controlfile(text) in trace directory. In this file, keep database structure of Eximdm. To clone the database, you must change database name and other setting for new database in this file.

2. Shutdown the Eximdm, duplicate database file, redo log file and parameter file to new path. Edit controlfile to new path for database file, redo log file and parameter file. And also edit parameter file for clone database.

3. Environment setting for new close database especially ORACLE_SID = 'new oracle is similar to editing controlfile'.

Note: be careful for this setting, this might cause collapse of product database if same ORACLE_SID is used to clone new database.

4. Start to create the clone database.

- logon in svrmgrl as sysdba;
svrmgrl>
svrmgrl> connect / as sysdba;

- start database ( new ORACLE_SID = unmount.
svrmgrl>startup pfile= unmount;

- create new clone database. execute the controlfile for new database.
svrmgrl>@

Note:makesure all of setting is in this controlfile is correct.

- if it doesn't have any error. the clone database is created and you can open this clone database.
svrmgrl> alter database open;

NT/Windows2000.
In NT/Windows2000 is almost similar to UNIX. But the difference is Oracle Service. User need to create the service for clone database first before create clone database.
1. Similar
2. Similar
3. Similar e.g set ORACLE_SID='clone sid'
3a(Extra step).
- create Oracle service in NT/Windows2000. Using below command.

oradimxx -new -sid -intpwd - startmode auto -pfile

Note; find this new Oracle Service in Control Panel(Services) after created.

- start Oracle Service
Net start

4. Similar

Hope this will provide some information for you.
Previous Topic: Re: how to create a new database ( i am a new user)
Next Topic: Re: Database design (table) URGENT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 11:30:09 CDT 2024