Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Temporary Tablespaces
Temporary Tablespaces [message #49738] Thu, 07 February 2002 01:24 Go to next message
siddharth
Hi

Could someone tell me the diffrence between 'Temporary Tablespaces' and 'Tablespaces of Type Temporary'. Which should be used for temporary segments and how is space freed up in each. I use a 'Tablespace of Type Temporary' for temporary segments and the datafile keeps on growing.

Rgds.
Siddharth
Re: Temporary Tablespaces [message #49745 is a reply to message #49738] Thu, 07 February 2002 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay Bajracharya
Tablespace of type 'temporary' always gets reset at startup, meaning it will be of 0 bytes during startup. A user has a default tablespace and temporary tablespace. TEMP tablespace is used for sort and so on.

If your datafile keeps on growing, then you must have set the auto extend option. Disable it if needed.

TEMP tablespace needs to be of type 'temporary', so that after each startup, it starts fresh at 0 bytes.

Hope you got the picture.
Re: Temporary Tablespaces [message #49767 is a reply to message #49745] Thu, 07 February 2002 21:58 Go to previous message
siddharth
Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for the reply.

I am already using a Temporary type tablespace and it is not shrinking on startups and also i cant restart the database again and again as it is a high availability database.

My question was that I am thinking of changing the tablespace from 'type temporary' to 'temporary tablespace' which is locally mananged instead of dictionary managed so what are the pros and cons in that.

Rgds.
Siddharth
Previous Topic: How to one table by combining some attribute
Next Topic: Get ora-01034 oracle not available error when i install oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 11:57:40 CDT 2024