Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Re: Howto determine which archive log is currently being written to?
Re: Howto determine which archive log is currently being written to? [message #49617] Thu, 31 January 2002 03:15
Sanjay Bajracharya
Kassim, you are talking about log file and KS was talking about archive log file. Kassim is right on saying how to determine the active log. BUT, the archive log is written ONLY when there is a log switch.

Example, active log is 4. When log 4 is full, it will go to log 5. At this moment, Archiver will write log 4 into a archive log. Same thing happens when 5 get's full and so on.

What I do is, I compress the archive log files every 5 minutes. When the script goes to the archive_dest folder, it will list the folder based on time (ls -t), and compress all the uncompressed files except the latest one (with the biggest time stamp). This way, I avoid the chances of compressing an archive log file that is being written to. (yes it does take some time to write the archive log depending on how big it is).

Hope this answered some of the questions.
Previous Topic: Re: import schema with constraints problems
Next Topic: Re: Rollback and temporary data file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 12:36:14 CDT 2024