Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN RETENTION PERIOD
RMAN RETENTION PERIOD [message #505210] Sat, 30 April 2011 08:28 Go to next message
latheefcochingmailcom

I'm using TSM for rman backup.
what is the suggested best practice for the retention period?
Is it suggested to have no retention period set?
If not, what should be the suggested/industry standard retention period?

Regards
Latheef
Re: RMAN RETENTION PERIOD [message #505211 is a reply to message #505210] Sat, 30 April 2011 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
what is the suggested best practice for the retention period?

There is no best practice generally speaking, if there was one then there would be no other choice and you would not have to post the question.
The best policy is the one that fit the service you sign with your client.

Regards
Michel
Re: RMAN RETENTION PERIOD [message #505213 is a reply to message #505210] Sat, 30 April 2011 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
latheefcochingmailcom

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
My reason for asking the question was to conclude an answer to the client.
I'm a tsm admin. as no retention period is suggested by client, our tsm backup size is growing huge. so i wanted to suggest a retention period to client which should be acceptable to them. or if you can suggest me on what are all the parameters to be consideded on retention perid, will be helpfull.
will it practically help keeping a retention period of one year?

Regards
Latheef
Re: RMAN RETENTION PERIOD [message #505216 is a reply to message #505213] Sat, 30 April 2011 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hi - the approach I always take to this sort of thing is to say that with backups there is no right or wrong, no good or bad: there is only conformance to documented Service Level Agreements. It isn't my decision (as a DBA) or yours (as the TSM admin), the data owners must tell us what they want. This should be specified in terms of acceptable downtime, data-loss, and point-in-time recovery capability. Whatever they ask for, you and I can deliver - at a cost. If you don't have a documented SLA you are very vulnerable: if there ever is any downtime or data loss, you need to be able to point to an SLA and say "not my fault - I did what you asked".
All that having been said, a retention of one year is probably useless for operational reasons, you would never go that far back. But several years might be required for legal reasons.
Re: RMAN RETENTION PERIOD [message #505218 is a reply to message #505216] Sat, 30 April 2011 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
latheefcochingmailcom

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Latheef
Re: RMAN RETENTION PERIOD [message #505221 is a reply to message #505218] Sat, 30 April 2011 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
And once again only the client knows and is the master of the data.
If it does not give any demand about them then, I think, you can remove the previous backup as soon as you have a new one.

Regards
Michel
Re: RMAN RETENTION PERIOD [message #505233 is a reply to message #505221] Sat, 30 April 2011 14:59 Go to previous message
latheefcochingmailcom

ok.

Thanks

Regards
Latheef
Previous Topic: Regarding free backup software for IBM AIX
Next Topic: Error While backup on Windows 7 Client of Oracle 11gR2 Database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:55:47 CDT 2024