Home » Other » Community Hangout » Croatian vacation
Croatian vacation [message #505172] Fri, 29 April 2011 14:49 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I've just run into the Dustinland: Croatian vacation (also featuring: Slovenia), a short comic written by Dustin Glick. So, if you want to know my country (as well as our neighbour's one) in a matter of minutes, take a look!

(Should I now say: "looking forward to see you this summer!" ?)
Re: Croatian vacation [message #505184 is a reply to message #505172] Fri, 29 April 2011 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Well, I *have* been to Krk, way back in the 1980s with my parents.

But since it wasn't Croatia back then it probably doesn't count. Razz

Re: Croatian vacation [message #505197 is a reply to message #505184] Sat, 30 April 2011 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Does the Magic Bus through what was Yugoslavia count as visiting your country? Not that it stopped once (not even for the drivers to change over.)
Re: Croatian vacation [message #505212 is a reply to message #505197] Sat, 30 April 2011 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Phew, it was more than 20 years since you've been here! Thomas probably forgot everything he saw (BTW, I used to spend summer holidays in Krk during the late 80s); John's luck might have been bad so he traveled during the night and, actually, saw nothing (what was your route, anyway?).

Oh well, time to come back. Terminator did, why wouldn't you?
Re: Croatian vacation [message #505223 is a reply to message #505212] Sat, 30 April 2011 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I don't remember where it was that I heard about the Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia. I think it may have been some television show. Walking along a path in an area like that would be my idea of an enjoyable way to spend time, especially if you do it on a cool morning and there is plenty of shade and water. I wonder if they allow you to have a picnic in the shade or get in the water on a hot afternoon or if you are not allowed off the main path. Click on the link below to see images of what I am talking about.

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=X6t&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=np& ;biw=1067&bih=510&site=search&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=plitvice+lakes+national+park+croatia&aq=f&aqi=&aql=& ;oq=
Re: Croatian vacation [message #505230 is a reply to message #505223] Sat, 30 April 2011 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I've been there several times. You can choose the way you want to visit the park. Most people take a walk for a while, then go to a boat (and rest their tired legs), walk some more, and return back by tourist train.

There are hotels there so you can stay for a few days. Picnic is allowed; there are barbecue spots and restaurants. Swimming is allowed nearby one of the hotels; you can also rent a boat and row for a while, if you wish.

A similar national park in Croatia is NP Krka. Many people visit it because it is located close to the Adriatic sea so tourists take a "day off" of swimming and sunbathing, go to Krka, spend a day and get back. There, on Krka, you can only walk; or, walk for a while and take a boat to Visovac Monastery; or, take a boat to Visovac AND Roški falls.

I can't decide which one of them I prefer.
Re: Croatian vacation [message #505245 is a reply to message #505230] Sat, 30 April 2011 18:35 Go to previous message
ThomasG
Of course, most people around here at least "know" the Plitvice region from the Winnetou movies of the 60s, which is what generations of young people grew up on. ;-P
Previous Topic: no left mouse button
Next Topic: New Jersey radio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:45:25 CDT 2024