Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Can we recover archived logs from new backups (Suse Linux 10 sp2)
Can we recover archived logs from new backups [message #482840] Tue, 16 November 2010 03:05 Go to next message
SystemEng
Hello

I have been able to restore/recover rman incremental backups on a fresh database.

What i dont understand is how rman does the restore.

I have incremental backup 0 and 1 everyday.

I thought if i copied the latest backup 0 and followd by its incremental 1, rman would restore.

But it was not the case , i had to put older backups to be able to restore all files.

Why is it so.

Also, if i restored the database successfully, wouldn't a simple recover database with latest backups update the database?. I mean i dont need to restore the database with new control file each time?. The recover database command would take the backup archived logs and restore them?

Else wats the use of doing new backups if its to restore the database only from spfile each time.

Im a bit confused as to how rman restores.

Thanks
Re: Can we recover archived logs from new backups [message #482841 is a reply to message #482840] Tue, 16 November 2010 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Insufficient data to compute.
How is this different from your previous question? http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/482349/102589/#msg_482349

Regards
Michel
Re: Can we recover archived logs from new backups [message #482844 is a reply to message #482841] Tue, 16 November 2010 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SystemEng
From the previous post to this one, i came to understand that i need to copy archived logs to the standby database before doing a restore. Having done so, i had the two databases with the same info in the v$Archived_log table.

What I still dont understand is given that i have incremental backups 0 and 1 twice a day, how can i restore the backup archived logs (let say i cant keep track of the archived logs since they are deleted on each rman backup done, meaning the log is switched and are backuped and then deleted).

At time t1 on day 1, i restored/recover a fresh database.
At time t2 on day 1, there are backups being done on the primary database hence contain the archived logs.

when i copy the recent backups to the standby database..then i do
RESTORE ARCHIVELOG ALL;

RMAN-06026: some targets not found - aborting restore
RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 1076 lowscn 18315311 found to restore

May Im doing it the wrong way??

Else , i dont see the use of so many incremental backups if i cant restore only archived logs on the standby database.

Re: Can we recover archived logs from new backups [message #482848 is a reply to message #482844] Tue, 16 November 2010 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hello, SystemEng - from this post and your earlier posts, I am wondering what you actually want to do. Are you trying to create a copy of the database, which you update regularly with all changes applied on the original database? If so, the Oracle product you need is Data Guard - but unfortunately, Data Guard requires Enterprise Edition licenses. However, you can do the same thing manually with standard edition, this doc explains how
http://www.orafaq.com/papers/create_non_managed_standby_db.pdf
This technique might be much easier than the way you are doing it now.
If you are trying to do something different, please ignore this.
Re: Can we recover archived logs from new backups [message #482863 is a reply to message #482848] Tue, 16 November 2010 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
If you are trying to do something different, please ignore this

Or better explain us what you are trying to do as your questions are confusing and not clear.

Regards
Michel
Re: Can we recover archived logs from new backups [message #482940 is a reply to message #482848] Tue, 16 November 2010 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SystemEng
Yup thats exactly what i want to do. Cos we dont have the appropriate license for DATAGUARD for the time being.

Re: Can we recover archived logs from new backups [message #482961 is a reply to message #482863] Wed, 17 November 2010 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SystemEng
How can we delete backup archived logs manually without using the command DELETE INPUT..

Since in our backup procedures, we switch log before backup. Hence i will always lose one of the Archived Logs.

I have been requested to manage the deletion rather than rman does it. So i must be sure that they have been properly backup then only i can delete them.

Any help please
Re: Can we recover archived logs from new backups [message #483076 is a reply to message #482961] Thu, 18 November 2010 02:28 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
Hi

To delete all archivelog on disk no matter whether they are backed up or not ...

RMAN > delete archivelog all;

To delete all archivelog on disk no matter wether they are backed up or not and are one day old ...

RMAN > delete archivelog all completed before 'sysdate -1';

To Delete archived redo logs from disk based on whether they are backed up on tape:

DELETE ARCHIVELOG ALL
BACKED UP 1 TIMES TO sbt;

Alternatively, after manually deleting archive log files, run the following from RMAN

run {
crosscheck archivelog all;
delete expired archivelog all;
}

This will crosscheck existing archivelogs and will show you the ones which are EXPIRED and need to be deleted, that is, they are not on the disks anymore, cause you have deleted them not using RMAN.

Regards

Girish
Previous Topic: How restore and recovery works
Next Topic: RMAN-06429: TARGET database is not compatible with this version of RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:53:57 CDT 2024