Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. (Oracle 10g Database, Redhat Enterprise Linux 4.6 64Bit)
need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481825] Sun, 07 November 2010 03:23 Go to next message
dbanukesh

I will explain my scenario below:

We have the requirement of performance testing of our proposed production platform, for this i am asked to take RMAN backup of clean position (Say Day0 or baseline backup) and restore it multiple times for few rounds of testing. My question is after 1st restore (with set until time of day0 position) if i open the database with resetlogs, would i be able to restore same clean backup again? I am using control file in the environment instead of RMAN catalog database. What i can do to make this scenario work? I am already in preperation of setting rman catalog database.

Please suggest me the best way forward...

Many Thanks
Nukesh
Re: need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481826 is a reply to message #481825] Sun, 07 November 2010 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I would strongly recommend using Database Flashback rather than repeated restore operations: Flashback is easier and faster.
Re: need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481827 is a reply to message #481826] Sun, 07 November 2010 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I completly agree with John.
It is easy as:

1) SETUP
   =====
alter system set db_flashback_retention_target="value > test duration in minutes" scope=spfile;
shutdown immediate
startup mount
alter database flashback on;
alter database open;

2) TAKE A RESTORE POINT (once you set up the database as you want):
   ====================
create restore point before_test;

3) TEST here
   ====

4) RETURN BACK to before test database
   ===========
shutdown immediate
startup mount
flashback database to restore point before_test;
alter database open resetlogs;

5) GOTO 3)
   =======

Regards
Michel

[Edit MC: missed "resetlogs" in last statement]

[Updated on: Sun, 07 November 2010 05:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481829 is a reply to message #481827] Sun, 07 November 2010 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbanukesh

Thanks Michel and John for quick responses. Yes i have set up flashback in my db with 7 days retention period. Just wanted to cleriy that would i be able to restore it multiple times the clean backup with the help of restore point? As if i use flashback scn and open the database with resetlogs, i think i cant use the same scn again or restore. Apart from this just let me know is that possible with RMAN or NOT? My client is mad about RMAN (they heard from somewhere that only RMAN is the only recovery solutions)
Re: need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481830 is a reply to message #481829] Sun, 07 November 2010 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbanukesh

Just reading the oracle docs it is saying 'Use the CREATE RESTORE POINT statement to create a restore point, which is a name associated with an SCN of the database corresponding to the time of the creation of the restore point. A restore point can be used to flash a table or the database back to the time of creation of the restore point without the need to determine the SCN or timestamp.'

That mean the restore point is associated with wither SCN or Timestamp so therefore can one restore point be used for multiple times? Please advice!!
Re: need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481831 is a reply to message #481830] Sun, 07 November 2010 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Why don't you try it? And with regard to using RMAN, Michel's example happens to with SQL*Plus, but you can flashback with RMAN if you prefer.
And by the way, you might want to be a bit more careful when talking about your clients. They just might read this forum.
Re: need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481832 is a reply to message #481831] Sun, 07 November 2010 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbanukesh

Ohh yes absolutely about the client thing. Anyway I will try this solution and get back to you.
Re: need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481833 is a reply to message #481832] Sun, 07 November 2010 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I forgot the "resetlogs" in my last statement, added it now.

Be sure the example works, I used it many times for my own tests and it never failed.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sun, 07 November 2010 05:45]

Re: need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481834 is a reply to message #481833] Sun, 07 November 2010 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbanukesh

Thanks Mithel, i will test this asap. One more question - suppose i crate 3 restore points say RP_A, RP_B and RP_C. where RP_A is my baseline backup and RP_B and RP_C are backups with some test data. If i restore RP_A (baseline backup) first time and i restore RP_B backup second and third time, would be able to restore RP_A again??
Re: need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481835 is a reply to message #481834] Sun, 07 November 2010 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If you restore to first restore point the other later ones disappear, you go back in the past before they have been created and you cannot see the future.
But from the first restore point you can recover to any of the later ones using the standard "recover until time/change" statement (you can see the scn/time of any restore point in v$restore_point view, before you flashback, of course).

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sun, 07 November 2010 05:46]

Re: need inputs on RMAN Backup and Recovery for multiple restore of clean backup. [message #481836 is a reply to message #481835] Sun, 07 November 2010 06:58 Go to previous message
dbanukesh

Brilliant Stuff Michel. It worked perfectly in my TEST DB. Sincere Thanks to You and John for the guidence.

cheers
Nukesh
Previous Topic: Rman backup mechanism
Next Topic: ORA-01200 resolution
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 01:58:16 CDT 2024