Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Unable to backup Oracle Control Files ~ Access is Denied (merged)
Unable to backup Oracle Control Files ~ Access is Denied (merged) [message #452439] Thu, 22 April 2010 02:06 Go to next message
setsuna
Hi everyone,

I have encountered a problem regarding the backup of my Oracle Control files using ArcServe Manager v11.5. These control files cannot be backed up and the job log alway prompt me with such message whenever a backup job is completed:

AW0004 Failed to open file <C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\test1\CONTROL01.CTL>. RC=5, Access is denied.

A search through the net and it gives me the following explaination:

Reason:

The request to open the specified file was denied by the operating system. This typically indicates that the file is locked by another application or the file is protected against unauthorized users.

Action:

Verify the user access rights if access denied is reported.

FYI, I had another server (B) with the same DB and ArcServe installed yet their control files can be backed up. Thus,I had configured these control files' permissions to be identical to those of B's. However, the same problem still exists.

This problem is bugging me and I hope anyone could kindly share their experiences to help me in resolve this problematic issues...

By the way, here another question wondering in my head when I was troubleshooting this issue.

I am able to open my control files through notepad but if I am using a wordpad, an error message like this pops up as shown:

The Document <file_path> is in use in another applications and cannot be accessed

~ I wonder is there a link between this error and the arc serve ~

Why is this so?

Thanks you guys in advances and hope to hear from you soon!
Regards
SETSUNA
Re: Unable to backup Oracle Control Files ~ Access is Denied [message #452445 is a reply to message #452439] Thu, 22 April 2010 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Oracle on Windows locks the control file when the instance is up.
If it works for your other server maybe it is not a Windows one.

Regards
Michel
Re: Unable to backup Oracle Control Files ~ Access is Denied [message #452585 is a reply to message #452439] Thu, 22 April 2010 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
setsuna
Hi Michel,

Thanks alot for your reply. FYI, my other server (the one which is able to back up the control files.) is also a window based server. The only difference between it and my error server is only on the bits of OS (both Win 2003 by the way Smile ) running.
(The former use 64-bits while the latter is 32 bits system).

Quote:
Oracle on Windows locks the control file when the instance is up.
If it works for your other server maybe it is not a Windows one.

If this is so, theoretically, why would'nt the 64 bits Server having such problem too as the control files are also a window based ones.

Thanks again for your selfless contributions

Regards,

SETSUNA
Re: Unable to backup Oracle Control Files ~ Access is Denied [message #452618 is a reply to message #452585] Fri, 23 April 2010 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I didn't work with Windows 64bit maybe the politic changes in this version.
Maybe you could post this question in a Windows forum.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 23 April 2010 00:58]

Report message to a moderator

Control File lock up ~ access is denied. [message #452649 is a reply to message #452439] Fri, 23 April 2010 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
setsuna
Hi guys,

I had some issues regarding control files access in windows 2003
In short, I had 2 window based servers with arc serve r11.5 installed. Server A is a 64bits Win 2003 server and its backup do not have issues. In contrast, Server B is a 32 bits Win 2003 server and its backup is incomplete as the arc serve is denied of the Oracle control file access during it back up operation.

I had posted the a topic under Backup and Recoveryforum and was told that there might be some differnces between the 2 OS that result in such issues and the experts in windows forum could help me with it

Quote:
maybe the politic changes in this version.

Is there anyone who could give me an insight to this issue?

[P/S: You can get the whole background of my problem via :
Unable to backup Oracle Control Files ~ Access is Denied [message #452439]

Thanks you guys in advances

Setsuna

[Updated on: Fri, 23 April 2010 03:17] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Control File lock up ~ access is denied. [message #452698 is a reply to message #452649] Fri, 23 April 2010 07:20 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
When I said: "you should post it in a Windows forum" I didn't mean in the Windows forum we have here, but in a real Windows forum, microsoft ones for instance.

I merge the 2 topics.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: ORACLE on WINDOWS 7
Next Topic: Date Format In VB Code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:55:25 CDT 2024