Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Catalog Database crashed (oracle 10G release 2,Linux Rhel4 nahan update 2)
Catalog Database crashed [message #452488] Thu, 22 April 2010 06:34 Go to next message
goldenshot2727
Hi All Gurus,

I am taking rman backups of 10 database servers using 1 catalog server.Last night one of my datafile in server 7 has been corrupted and it needed recovery.While i try to do recovery i found the catalog server was also corrupted.So BIG problem.

I have rman backups of all servers on tapes and disks but i do not have backup of Catalog database.So Struck here?

Now i want to restore my database's datafile and also catalog database.I search on net but not found any document of how to restore the catalog database and the datafile.

Please help me in this how can i restore datafile of my database as well as how can i restore my catalog database so that it will be in its previous stage.

What will happen to my old rman backs which i taken through my damaged catalog database.How they will be sync. with current catalog database.

Regards
Sahil Soni
Re: Catalog Database crashed [message #452518 is a reply to message #452488] Thu, 22 April 2010 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
but i do not have backup of Catalog database

Great error! You thought to backup your client databases and not yours'!

Quote:
I search on net but not found any document of how to restore the catalog database and the datafile.

You restore them like others... from a backup.

Now you have to recreate the database, reinstall rman catalog and resynchronize all your datatabase in it.

Regards
Michel
Re: Catalog Database crashed [message #452565 is a reply to message #452518] Thu, 22 April 2010 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You should be able to restore and recover exactly as normal, working in nocatalog mode (which is the default) using the controlfile repository, as long as the required backups and archivelogs are not older than your controlfile_record_keep_time (default is 7 days).

Then to rebuild the RMAN catalog, create a new one and if you know which directories the backups are in, synchronize them into the new catalog with CATALOG START WITH...

Re: Catalog Database crashed [message #456589 is a reply to message #452565] Tue, 18 May 2010 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bali2006

Isn't IT also possible to do a 'Catalog recovery area' to synchronize the whole Flash recovery area with the catalog?

Regards
Richard
Re: Catalog Database crashed [message #456599 is a reply to message #456589] Tue, 18 May 2010 12:27 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Noone says he uses the FRA.
Anyway, it should be done for all databases and maybe the FRA does not contain (all) the backup(s).

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Target and Auxiliary have different OS and version
Next Topic: Archive log and hot backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:13:05 CDT 2024