Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Business Intelligence » Confused on BI Publisher and BI Presentation Services
Confused on BI Publisher and BI Presentation Services [message #452396] Wed, 21 April 2010 19:21 Go to next message
mortonmorton
Hi,

I've been reading this document: download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E10415_01/doc/bi.1013/e12188/toc.htm

I've already created a user, role and data sources, up to Integration with Presentation Services. Now what's the relation of BI Publisher with BI Presentation services? Until now I could only login on Presentation Services as a Administrator. I tried using the "user" I created on BI Publisher to login on Presentation Services as normal user but it says it's invalid. How do I setup a normal user for Presentation Services to create report? ( if that's the purpose of it ). What's the diff of user on BI Publisher and BI Presentation Services?

Thanks!
Re: Confused on BI Publisher and BI Presentation Services [message #452427 is a reply to message #452396] Thu, 22 April 2010 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
intcor
first while creating users to loginto presentation services check whether you have given permission to acess presentation services and bi publisher .

log into presentation services as administrator ,go to settings and create user and give privileges .

hope this helps as iam also learning. Razz
Re: Confused on BI Publisher and BI Presentation Services [message #452584 is a reply to message #452427] Thu, 22 April 2010 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mortonmorton
Thanks for the reply!

I was able to create/login new user to my Presentation Services. Here's what I did, but still confused on the relationships of this three.

I went into Administration Tool, I went to Open -> Online ( not sure what's online/offline ). Then just typed Administrator login, then I went into Security. Then go to Users - I created a user, chosed XMLP_DEVELOPER as the group. Clicked OK, then verified that my user got created on the list of Users. Then close the window. Click the Save button on toolbar.

I then went into BI Presentation Services, then I log-in first using Administrator. Then I went to Settings - Administration. Then to something like Create/Manage catalog. Here I saw the user I created in the Administration Tool. Then after that I tried the user I created and was able to login successfully.

On BI Publisher I was using "BI Publisher Security" as Security Model.

One thing I'm still not sure about is the offline/online. How would I know which repository I'm into? and what's the purpose of the user accounts on BI Publisher, because I created user and roles on it, but I could only use it on BI Publisher and not on BI Presentation Services.

Hope this clear some things.
Re: Confused on BI Publisher and BI Presentation Services [message #452600 is a reply to message #452396] Thu, 22 April 2010 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
intcor
first thing understand concepts of security well.
as you have created users in repository , using the permissions tab you can restrict or grant acess to data , tables etc.
you can also impose column level security at data level.

while in presentation services using manage catalog in settings tab ,
you can acees or deny permissions to dashboards,answers ,pages etc . hence limit the acess in ui level.

coming to offline/online ,when your repsitory is loaded in nqsconfig and instanceconfig and if the server is running ,repository opens in online mode.you can edit and make any changes to the repository in online mode.
if your repository you are trying to open is not loaded and server is not running ,it opens in offline mode.
Smile
Re: Confused on BI Publisher and BI Presentation Services [message #452601 is a reply to message #452396] Thu, 22 April 2010 23:51 Go to previous message
intcor
please refer to

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_19/idmanage.1012/b14082/security_intr.htm
Previous Topic: Distinct Count in BI Publisher
Next Topic: Direct database request in OBIEE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:02:38 CDT 2024