Home » Other » General » Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus?
icon9.gif  Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450700] Thu, 08 April 2010 16:08 Go to next message
arrg
Can someone please help me I just installed Oracle 10g with SQL Plus for a class, I am taking this semester and I do not know how to start using Plus. When I start it up it promts me for a username and password. I do not have one or know where to go to make one. I just typed in my name and made up a password hoping that it was asking me to make one but that did not seem to work.

Please help I am falling behind this class enough I need to pass so I can graduate. Thank you for looking.
Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450701 is a reply to message #450700] Thu, 08 April 2010 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
SQL*Plus is just the client program to access an Oracle database on a database server.

Do you have installed the server components and the example database or have you just installed the client?

Also, the server setup is depended on the operating system. What operating system do you have?

If you have installed a server, and if you are on the OS command shell of the server, you can set the environment variable ORACLE_SID to the SID of the Oracle database and connect with

sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

without a user name and password.

Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450703 is a reply to message #450701] Thu, 08 April 2010 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arrg
I installed the full version that was on disc(s) which installed a folder called devsuitehome2 and another folder called Oracle Developer Suite devsuitehome2. I do not see anything called server in those folders. I have installed this directly to my laptop and I am only connected to a home network currently.

I am running Windows Vista.

I hope this helped.
Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450704 is a reply to message #450700] Thu, 08 April 2010 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
I am going to assume you installed oracle 10g on windows?

I am going to assume you accepted all default prompts etc.?

at install time the install process would have asked you for passwords for certain users which if you did not change would have defaults.

Go a google for Oracle Default Passwords to see common login credentials. In particular see if you got a SCOTT/TIGER account.

Good luck, Kevin
Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450707 is a reply to message #450704] Thu, 08 April 2010 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arrg
Yes that is correct I installed 10g on windows.

I accepted all default prompts.

I was not prompted for a password but I will try SCOTT TIGER I'll let you know how it turns out.
Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450708 is a reply to message #450700] Thu, 08 April 2010 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
you should be able to find a list of oracle default logins username/password for 10g fresh installs by doing a google search.

Kevin
Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450710 is a reply to message #450708] Thu, 08 April 2010 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arrg
I did just find a thing in my book saying I needed to register with oracle so I did that and they gave me a password for installation which seems kind of stupid seeing how it installed just fine...
Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450715 is a reply to message #450710] Thu, 08 April 2010 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arrg
okay my professor gave me a differnt copy to try because he said the version in the book was a little wonky. So he gave me a file. Does anyone know how to uninstall? Oddly enough it's not in the unintall menu and I can not find an executable to uninstall it in the programs menu...
Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450716 is a reply to message #450700] Thu, 08 April 2010 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
IT is unclear now what products you are using.

Did you install sqlplus client? or oracle10g database (which includes sqlplus)?

Kevin
Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450717 is a reply to message #450716] Thu, 08 April 2010 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arrg
I installed Oracle Developer Suite 10g
Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450718 is a reply to message #450700] Thu, 08 April 2010 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
now the truth comes out.

So developer suite does not have a database. You need to install the database if you want your developer suite to connect to a database.

OR OR OR...

Your professor needs to have provided you with connection details that you need to access an already installed oracle database somewhere else.

Did your professor tell you to connect to some specific database somewhere else?

Did your professor tell you to install the database locally and use that database with your developer suites?

Are you supposed to write apps without a database (possible but rare)?

Kevin
Re: Username and Password problems for 10g SQL Plus? [message #450738 is a reply to message #450717] Fri, 09 April 2010 00:52 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Perhaps you should have installed Oracle 10g Express Edition database instead.

Doing so, you'd get a database and SQL*Plus as a tool to work with that database. Developer Suite contains SQL*Plus along with Forms and Reports Developers (with no database, as Kevin has told you), but it seems that you don't need those at the moment. If you need them sometime in the future, no problem - the database will still be here, you'll just connect Forms or Reports to it.
Previous Topic: Oracle vs. Microsoft
Next Topic: AMM in ORACLE 11g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:41:03 CDT 2024