Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » Help! OWB chucks away metadata on copy and paste. (OWB 10.1.0.5.0)
Help! OWB chucks away metadata on copy and paste. [message #397886] Tue, 14 April 2009 07:30 Go to next message
Riaan
Dear all,

I am having a OWB-related problem while copying and pasting external tables between projects (I have been tasked with reorganising our dev repository and need to move things around between projects).

My problem is that, while I am able to copy and paste most objects from the source project to the target project, some metadata is thrown away in the process, specifically for external tables.

External tables lose their file access specifications and it needs to be manually edited. Originally, all of the source files have been sampled and then used to create the associated external tables. When the external table is copied and pasted, all other metadata is preserved except the access spec, and it isn't possible to recapture it (using OWB) except by re-importing the file or manually setting the access specifier in the ext. table properties.

Since many of these projects are many years old, the original test files are not available, and the hundreds of files makes manually specifying the access params an intractable problem. Configuring the external table via the key/value editor doesn't help either. All other settings, locations and other stuff is identical between source and target project.

Is there any way I can go about accomplishing this without lots of hassle? We are using Oracle 10gR2 and OWB 10.1.0.5.0.

Please help! Any insights would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Riaan

[Updated on: Tue, 14 April 2009 07:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Help! OWB chucks away metadata on copy and paste. [message #399678 is a reply to message #397886] Thu, 23 April 2009 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ajitpal.s
Im not sure if this helps, have you tried exporting and importing the objects with dependencies while you are moving objects around.
Re: Help! OWB chucks away metadata on copy and paste. [message #403627 is a reply to message #397886] Sun, 17 May 2009 13:35 Go to previous message
shivanand.iyer
export/import Metadata option is the solution to this. Copy Pasting from one project to another has problems in OWB. You lose on the metadata. I have also faced similar issues in my projects.
Previous Topic: Teradata Tables in OWB
Next Topic: Repository Version cannot be found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:02:10 CDT 2024