Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » oracle 8
oracle 8 [message #375209] Mon, 06 August 2001 04:25 Go to next message
Vinod S Kumar
What is are the differences between Oracle 8 and Oracle 8i
Re: oracle 8 [message #375213 is a reply to message #375209] Mon, 06 August 2001 08:42 Go to previous message
Suresh Vemulapalli
Oracle 8i introduces iFS, the Internet File System that allows users to easily move all of their data into an Oracle8i database where it can be stored and managed more efficiently in an integrated fashion. A new option, Oracle8i interMedia, allows businesses to manage and access multi-media data, including image, text, audio, video, and spatial (locator) data. Oracle8i introduces new support for Java by including a robust, integrated, and scalable Java Virtual Machine within the server. This expands Oracle's support for Java into all tiers of applications, allowing Java programs to be deployed where they perform best--in the client, server, or middle tier--without recompiling or modifying the Java code. Oracle8i also has significant new features and functionality for traditional OLTP and data warehouse applications. For data warehouses, Oracle8i now provides sophisticated summary management features to store aggregates that are commonly queried, reducing query processing significantly.

For OLTP applications, Oracle8i introduces the optimizer plan stability feature allowing the user to ensure that the optimizer selects the same tuned plan every time the same query is executed. Advanced Queuing has been enhanced to support a publish/subscribe paradigm. OLTP applications benefit from the many new and enhanced features that improve the recoverability and availability of the database during routine operations, such as index rebuilds, and in disaster situations where a standby database may be activated.

Oracle8i introduces database resource management where the DBA now has the ability to control the processing resources allocated to a user or group of users. Two new partitioning methods, hash and composite, complement the established range partitioning method to provide a rich set of partitioning methods from which the DBA may choose the best method to fit an application's profile and workload.

The Oracle Parallel Server features a new architecture in Oracle8i. Cache fusion is a new "diskless" ping architecture that greatly improves inter-instance communication. New networking features improve the ease of use for OPS and system administration is made easier through the enhancement of Oracle Parallel Server Management, the new Oracle Universal Installer, and the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant.

Oracle8i extends the functionality of advanced replication, focusing on mass-deployment applications. Data can be replicated to servers that are closer to users and have only the data those users need, providing better performance. Security has been improved. The replication manager has been rewritten in Java and is no longer constrained to run on a Windows-based machine.
Previous Topic: sql query to delete data when it expire
Next Topic: NLS Lang error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 11:19:10 CDT 2024