Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Object privileges
Object privileges [message #374899] Tue, 10 July 2001 09:52 Go to next message
Kurt Berry
I have been given a series of test cases to perform against my database for validation. The test cases revolve around object privileges for two test users (one user will succeed whereas the second should fail).

I am having trouble with the following two test cases:

1. Configure a database row so that UserA can access the information and UserB cannot access the information.

2. Configure a database element (field?) so that UserA can access the information and UserB cannot access the information.

I know that Oracle(8i) allows one to apply object privileges down the column level (for insert, update, etc); however, I cannot find documentation for locking down specific rows or fields.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Re: Object privileges [message #374901 is a reply to message #374899] Tue, 10 July 2001 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
See fine grained access.
http://gigabase.idi.ntnu.no/oradoc/server.816/a76962/ch2.htm#106231
If this does not cover your requirements then using views is a traditional option. Also, if you have the option of still changing the application, then your own data level security is an option.
Re: Object privileges [message #374903 is a reply to message #374901] Tue, 10 July 2001 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
Sorry I can't really help. If you create one oracle user for each physical user you have, then you can predefine several views e.g. emp_for_user1, emp_for_user2 - then after granting select to the users, set up synonyms from those users to point the the views i.e. "create synonym emp for scott.emp_for_user1;"
Re: Object privileges [message #374904 is a reply to message #374901] Tue, 10 July 2001 13:00 Go to previous message
Kurt Berry
Actually, that is what I feared...and the main reason I tried to stay away from views altogether.

Again, thanks for the help!
Previous Topic: '&' character in update query
Next Topic: Re: Date format?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 03:06:37 CDT 2024